Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 24, 2011, 7:24 PM   #1

Default Whats the best SD card

Hi

What is the best SD card to use for a Olympus SZ30mr?

Thanks
Stock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2011, 10:06 PM   #2

My opinion is to always use/get the fastest card you can afford. With the price of SDHC cards being at an all time low I would look at getting a 16GB class 10 card from a place like newegg.vom or bhphotoviceo.com. I personally like Transcend cards but their are other good brands out there as well. I have 2x 16GB Transcend Class 10 SDHCand 2x 8GB Class 6 micro SDHC Transcend cards that I use on regular basis as well as 1 each 8GB micro Class 6 and 16GB SDHC Class 10 Adata brand cards. The 16GB Adata card has an issue in that the write pretion-lock switch sometimes will not stay up in the open ready to use position and can take some fiddling with to make it work in my cameras, but once I get that bypassed the card does work well.........

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2011, 10:43 PM   #3

I use and recomment either SanDisk Extreme or Lexar Professional. They cost a little bit more but they perform better.
  • If you're going to use a filter, make it a good one.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2011, 5:21 AM   #4

I was told that class 10 cards aren't necessary unless you're going to be shooting HD video.

It makes sense, you don't need that much speed to save a file < 5mb. The actual processing of the photos are handled by the camera and not the card I would assume.
Mrderek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2011, 10:04 AM   #5

Actually, you can store HD Video without a problem on a freshly formatted Class 4 Card. For Video AND Audio, you need a freshly formatted Class 6 Card. The problem is that some manufacturers lie in their ratings, and no one polices this. Cards that are actually Class 10 Cards should be plenty for any purpose, but some manufacturers still lie about what their cards are capable of. I have Class 6 Lexar and Sandisk cards that outperform Class 10 Cards from other manufacturers.

But there's no such thing as TOO FAST.
  • If you're going to use a filter, make it a good one.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 8:16 PM   #6

I just bought and used the Delkin Elite 633 8GB SDHC UHS-1 today.

It writes and reads faster then any card I have ever used.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 9:01 PM   #7
Administrator

Unless you're using a UHS-1 compatible device, then you're not going to get the faster speeds some of them can provide.

If you are using a newer UHS-1 compatible device (capable of using a faster UHS104 versus UHS50 transfer mode), then the latest Sandisk cards are probably the fastest, followed by the Delkin Elite 633x.

The newer versions of the Sandisk Extreme Pro SDHC/SDXC UHS-1 cards are rated at 95MB/Second Read Speed (633x) and 90MB/Second Write Speed (600x).

http://www.sandisk.com/products/dslr...i-memory-cards

The latest Delkins are rated at 95MB/Second Read Speed (like the latest Sandisk Cards), and 80MB/Second Write speed (slightly slower than the latest Sandisk cards). That's still extremely fast, and much faster than most cameras are going to be able to write to a card anyway though. ;-)

http://delkin.com/i-6483223-8gb-delk...-i-memory.html

But, note that some of the original 633x Delkin UHS-1 Cards were only rated for 45MB/Second Write speeds (but, they claim 80MB/Second for the newest ones), even though read speed was rated at 95MB/Second. The latest models have faster 80MB/Second Write speeds.

Of course, that's what the manufacturers claim they can do. I haven't seen any benchmarks yet confirming those claims.

The Sandisk cards are priced very nicely at some vendors now though. For example, B&H is selling the newest (95MB/Second Read, 90MB/Second Write) Sandisk cards for only $59.99 for the 16GB Cards (less than they were selling the original 45MB/Second UHS-1 cards for).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Pro_16_GB.html

But, unless you're using a UHS-1 compatible camera like a Sony A77 that can take advantage of cards like the latest Delkin and Sandisk UHS-1 cards, then you're probably wasting your money buying one that fast (as most cameras using SDHC cards are not going to be able to take advantage of the faster transfer modes those cards provide).
JimC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 11:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Unless you're using a UHS-1 compatible device, then you're not going to get the faster speeds some of them can provide.

But, unless you're using a UHS-1 compatible camera like a Sony A77 that can take advantage of cards like the latest Delkin and Sandisk UHS-1 cards, then you're probably wasting your money buying one that fast (as most cameras using SDHC cards are not going to be able to take advantage of the faster transfer modes those cards provide).
Well I just got a Sony A55 (to have video), and I don't know if it's UHS-1 compatible ( I would guess it's not).

I do know that the Delkin SD card I bought for it is the newer 95/80 version and the biggest difference I have noticed since I have used it, is the time it takes for uploading photo's. I have not taken any video yet.

That's a great price for that Sandisk card.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote