Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 2, 2012, 6:00 PM   #1
Default Sandisk Extreme SDHC UHS-I memory caed ???

I have a Nikon D5100 DSLR. Is the "Sandisk Extreme SDHC UHS-I @ 16 GB memory card compatible with my camera ? And if so, is 16 GB over kill ? Would I be better off with a 8 GB memory card ? I don't do much video.
surplusshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2012, 9:39 PM   #2

Can never have to much memory. But really it depends on what you shoot, and what you shoot. Are you shooting just Jpegs. or Raw.. and are you leaving them on the disk all the time like most people do. It's not over kill, i have 128g and 64g in my camera's.. so good luck..
lonefeather93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 10:07 PM   #3

lonefeather93 128GB in your camera? I have 3x 32GB and the onoly time I fill up a 32GB is on a wedding or shooting the full HS football experience from warm-ups, pregame stuff, halftime stuff and then entire game (in raw format). I guess if I shot a lot of video that would be a different story

To the D5100 shooter...... Personally it all depends on what you shoot but I would use a 16GB as my primary card and have an 8GB as a back-up, unless you shoot breaking news and sports then go with a 32GB and a back-up 16GB. I am shooting on a Pentax K-5 and I find that SDHC cards in the class10 speed to be super fast and keep up with my buffer at all times. Not sure if that card is compatible or not but you may want to try a class 10 card and see if that is fast enough for you.

Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 3:37 PM   #4

G'day SS

What's more important than the basic capacity is the "class" of the card with its read/write speeds
There are plenty of lowGB cards around at Class-4, but when you go to Class-10 their recording speed on burst goes from 'pedestrian' to 'space shuttle' speeds

Regards, Phil
Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 3:47 PM   #5

Today tested ... FAT32/USB3 ... I think, cheap Class10 is fast enough for each camera, buuuut you can pay for expensive (and senseless) Sandisk "95MBps" = 760Mbps (read!) speed.

Sandisk UHS-1 ... sloooow :-(
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:42 AM   #6

It is. I am having nikon camera and I use SDHC card.
angelam9 is offline   Reply With Quote