Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 4, 2012, 1:55 PM   #1

Default Help with Sandisk flash card...potential 800+ pics missing

Any digital camera sandisk experts out there able to help with the following:

I took 800+ pics on a recent roadtrip and this is what is currently happening which is preventing me from getting the pics.

I took my Sandisk Extreme III Compact Flash 30MB/s 32GB card out of the camera (Canon EOS 40D) and inserted it into my Sandisk card reader which has a USB connection to my Mac (OS 10.6.8). I normally do this and a drive pops up on my computer and I copy all the .CR2 file pics to my hard drive.

For some reason nothing popped up, so I unplugged my USB and replugged it in. I get a prompt stating "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." I have the option to Initialize, Ignore, or Eject.

So in fear I simply eject. I put the card back in my camera....

Camera says...
CF card not formatted. Format card with this camera.

When I click play on the camera it says "CF card not formatted."

Iphoto doesn't see any pics either when I connect the camera cord to the computer USB (I wish I did this first to make sure I didn't all out lose these photos).

Before taking the card out of my camera it worked fine and had about 800+ pics on it. I should note that I formatted this flash card while on this trip with my camera.

Does anyone have any suggestions to how to save these pics? It would mean quite a bit as this trip was with a loved one and some older family members.
thor015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2012, 2:02 PM   #2

I see some other threads on this topic that I obviously missed. If you have anything to add that is not in those threads please feel free to chime in =)
Old Dec 5, 2012, 1:30 AM   #3

Ok so I am using Photo rec now and have some interesting results.

When this card was in my camera it showed that it had 1 picture on it. So I reformatted using the camera and went on to take 800+ pictures.

Photo rec pulled 4 pics from the camera and one of them is the 1 pic that was on there before I reformatted.

So I watched the recovery folder I wanted any files to go into and I kept seeing .CR2 files pop up but I couldn't see them.

CR2 files are the files I normally get when I put them on the computer. Does anyone have a recommended program to recover .CR2 files?
Old Mar 8, 2014, 12:31 AM   #4

I'm having same issue now. will try your suggestion. thanks.

Edit:
I found the solution, you can use photo recovery software, here's the guide I followed
http://www.asoftech.com/articles/how...mory-card.html

Now I'm so happy that I got all my lost photos back.

Last edited by justinwoo3; Mar 10, 2014 at 6:38 PM.
justinwoo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:44 AM   #5

Have you tried the recovery software that sandisk provides on their website?

http://www.cardrecoverypro.com/?cate...appendix=files
rainrunner is offline   Reply With Quote