Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:46 PM   #1

Default Storage Device

We will be taking a trip and I don't want to take my laptop computer along. However, I want to be able to back up my photos from a compact flash card.

What device do you recommend where I can just insert a CF card and store the images for safe keeping?

Also, do they make a back up device that might have a viewing screen, so if I want to browse the images, I can?

I know that some would say use cloud technology, but I would still need a device to do that and the time it would take to upload might be far too long. So I think I'd rather not go the cloud route.

Faithfully Yours,
FP
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2013, 5:28 AM   #2

Wolverine's PicPac line will do what you want. They also make one with a display.
  • If you're going to use a filter, make it a good one.

Last edited by TCav; Jan 5, 2013 at 5:37 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 7:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithfulPastor View Post
We will be taking a trip and I don't want to take my laptop computer along. However, I want to be able to back up my photos from a compact flash card.

What device do you recommend where I can just insert a CF card and store the images for safe keeping?

Also, do they make a back up device that might have a viewing screen, so if I want to browse the images, I can?

I know that some would say use cloud technology, but I would still need a device to do that and the time it would take to upload might be far too long. So I think I'd rather not go the cloud route.

Faithfully Yours,
FP

If you have an ipad or a tablet, you do not need anything else to access the cloud, just back up cloud them at free wifi hotspots. Or you are staying at hotels with a guest computer room. Just use their computer and upload them when you get in from the day of shooting to a cloud base file server like dropbox. All you need to have is a compact flash adapter with usb. For the price of one of those photo backup. It is the same price as a tablet.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 5, 2013 at 7:30 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 8:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
... For the price of one of those photo backup. It is the same price as a tablet.
... but they offer a lot more storage space than a tablet will.

Another option is to use an Eye-Fi SD card to transfer the photos from your camera directly to your smartphone or tablet (or laptop, if you decide to go that route.) You can then upload them to a photosharing website (may not work for RAW files), a backup website (Carbonite, etc, or even any free space you might have on your own website) or shared storage site (SkyDrive, for instance, is free for the first 7 GBs.)

These could put a significant dent in your cellular data plan if you don't wait till you're on a WiFi connection.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:09 AM   #5

space is not an issue if you have subscribe to a cloud service, free is not a great amount. But the paid you have 100gb options and so on. 100gb is 3 cf card. Not to many people will each up more then 3 cf card in a day. And most hotels have free wifi. That is when I normally upload my photos to my cloud. No worry about dents to the date limit.

And you upload the days photo to you tab, view them. They decide to upload the keepers. And dump the junk before you even upload. And you have a 7-10 inch screen to view them.

And once on the cloud, they have multi back up of their servers. So no worries that you loose you cf card and you portable backup. Which can happen.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 9:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Wolverine's PicPac line will do what you want. They also make one with a display.
I had an older 40GB unit and replaced it/sold it with a 120GB unit a while back. They work very well (used it many times when I only had 2GB and 4GB cards) although the battery life isn't the greatest (you need to use AC power or charge it after an hours use). Now that I have 16GB and 32GB cards I have not used mine in over 14 months.

Here is a link to the device I have to give you an idea what your looking at getting. http://www.adorama.com/WV7616.html

dave

Last edited by Photo 5; Jan 5, 2013 at 9:53 PM.
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 9:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post

And once on the cloud, they have multi back up of their servers. So no worries that you loose you cf card and you portable backup. Which can happen.
You must not have heard about Megaupload,which was shut down by the US gov. or some other services which went bankrupt and shut down, leaving clients with nothing. I trust the cloud just about as far as I can throw it. If you consider it as one part of your storage/backup strategy, OK, but don't rely on just one option.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:35 AM   #8

There have been many file sharing sites, including many photo sharing sites, that started out with the best of intentions, but when they didn't become profitable in a reasonable amount of time, the investors took over and sold off the assets of the company without any advanced notice to the customers who lost everything, without knowing it. Flickr is owned by Yahoo, Picasa is owned by Google, and Skydrive is owned by Microsoft. I'd call anyplace else in the "Cloud" shakey.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
You must not have heard about Megaupload,which was shut down by the US gov. or some other services which went bankrupt and shut down, leaving clients with nothing. I trust the cloud just about as far as I can throw it. If you consider it as one part of your storage/backup strategy, OK, but don't rely on just one option.

brian

iCloud strong and kicking with apple, and dropbox is doing well, as mention skydrive is very sound as well.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:28 AM   #10

I'll go along with iCloud, but DropBox is competing with Google Drive and Microsoft's SkyDrive. I wouldn't put too much faith in it.