Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 12, 2013, 11:21 AM   #1
Default Format Card Message

I have a Sony a200 camera. I bought a second 16gb Kingston Compact Flash card for my holiday. I have inserted it whilst away and used and can see all my pics on the camera itself but on connecting the camera to my laptop i get a message that the card needs to be formatted. I assume that if i now do this i will lose all my holiday photos. Can anyone please advise what the best course of action to take is? I have googled but am none the wiser and don't want to mess things up! Thanks in advance
crossway62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2013, 12:33 PM   #2

See this post and use Photorec (free and open source) to recover your images.

Recovering Images or Video from Memory Cards

Use a card reader (not a USB connected camera) for that purpose. If you don't have a card reader, they're very inexpensive (under $10 anymore), and you can find them online, or at virtually any office supply store (Staples, Office Depot, etc.) or at Electronics Stores (Best Buy or even WalMart).

Once you have your images recovered (and check the full size images, not just the the thumbnails), make sure to reformat the memory card (and I'd use the camera's format menu for that purpose) before using it again.

Chances are, it's just a corrupted file system (versus anything else wrong with the card), and reformatting (which creates a new file system/File Allocation Table) it will solve the issues.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote