Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 19, 2016, 2:01 PM   #1

Default 2011 27" iMac & maybe 2012 MBP is not seeing CF card adapter via USB 2.0

I tried hooking up external CF card readers to my iMac and MBP and both computers didn't see the adapter nor my Nikon D300 DSLR (using cable only).

Some one suggested a "WiFi CF card reader" to send photos from my CF card wirelessly to my Apple computers? Brands to try that WORK?

This happened after I upgraded to El Capitan OS X I believe. Before that my Sandisk and IO-Gear ext CF card reader (USB 2.0) worked.

Hate when this happens. DSLR's using old memory cards, Apple computers suddenly not seeing external devices (e.g. CF adapter, DSLR).

Ideas?
agc828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:24 AM   #2
Administrator

What card reader are you using (brand/model)?

You may want to check the manufacturer's support site for any firmware updates for it and install them.

For example, that solution worked for someone with the same symptoms you have (card reader not recognized with El Capitan), and a card reader firmware update solved it):

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

It's common for card readers to have newer firmware available for download. So, check the reader manufacturer's support site for updates as a first step, and/or try a different card reader.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
What card reader are you using (brand/model)?

You may want to check the manufacturer's support site for any firmware updates for it and install them.

For example, that solution worked for someone with the same symptoms you have (card reader not recognized with El Capitan), and a card reader firmware update solved it):

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

It's common for card readers to have newer firmware available for download. So, check the reader manufacturer's support site for updates as a first step, and/or try a different card reader.
I just chatted with an Apple Community tech support person online. Asked me to disconnect all 3rd-party devices and only keep the keyboard connected. Then connect my DSLR to the iMac. WORKED!! That's all it took. Able to see my photos and import them to my iMac.

I wonder what the reasoning was behind this move. Did my iMac have information that these 3rd-party devices were connected and wouldn't allow me to connect a 4th? (4 USB jacks).

Last edited by agc828; Jul 20, 2016 at 1:59 PM.
agc828 is offline   Reply With Quote