Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 2, 2004, 7:47 PM   #1
Default what's the best type of digicam memory?

i'm a little behind the times when it comes to digital cameras. regarding memory, what sort of media is cheapest, smallest, most convenient/user-freindly, etc.?

also, is it worth choosing one type of camera over another based on what type of media it uses?

thanks for any help and advice you can give me.
bjh23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2004, 9:58 PM   #2

I wouldn't choose anything that uses smart media, but I'm not sure they make ones that do any more. I also wouldn't get something that takes the memory stick. I am very against Sony's trying to make their own memory format.

I know little about Secure Digital (SD) or MultiMedia Card (MMC). I also know little about the xD format.

I've heard that SD is expected to be the future, but I have only heard that from one person.... so I'm not sure how much I believe that.

Personally, I perfer Compact Flash (CF). Lots of cameras use it, lots of companies make it so the price is good and the innovation (i.e. speed) continues to increase. All are great for consumers.

I don't think I'd choose a camera just because it uses CF over SD or MMC... but I wouldn't buy it if it used smart media or memory stick.

Worry more about camera features & its size. If it doesn't do what you want, it doesn't matter what card it takes.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2004, 2:45 AM   #3
Default thanks!

that's very helpful advice. thanks!
bjh23 is offline   Reply With Quote