Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 11, 2004, 12:56 AM   #1
Default Simpletech SD / ProX SD ???

What is the difference between the simpletech 256mb SD & the simpletech ProX 256mb ???

Both are the same size and seem to have the same write/read speed at 10mb/sec.

Website states:
# 256MB and 512MB cards have a Fast Sustained Write Speed: 10MB/sec
# 256MB and 512MB cards have a Fast Sustained Read Speed : 10MB/sec

http://www.simpletech.com/flash/SDprox.php (proX SD spec)
http://www.simpletech.com/flash/secure_digital.php (plain SD Spec)

I have noticed that some of the sites selling the non pro version state it writes at 2mb/sec while others say 10mb/sec. On simpletech's website both state 10mb/sec read or write.

below are the list of sites i looked.

http://www.pagecomputers.com/cgi-bin/page/B0446425.html http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=electronics

a few other site state 2.5MBps burst & 10MBbps write/read. What is burst ? is this the difference between the plain simpletech 256mb and the ProX ?

VK from OR
RCA CDS1005, canon S100 & S400
blueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2004, 12:28 AM   #2

I have to admit that I don't know the answer to your question, but I might have a different way of getting a solution as to which cardto purchase.

TheProX carddefinately writes at the faster speed, and ebuyer.com often (although not always) sells the 256mb ProX cardfor $51 - $55 dollars with $3 shipping. I think this price is incredibly low, some sites sell the samecard for $150 and up (yikes!). So, if you can get the ProX card delivered for $54 to $58,I would just go with the Pro card. That way you are definately getting the faster write speed.

So far, I have purchased two of the 256mb ProX cards and I am thinking about buying a third. I noticed considerably faster write speeds compared to standard cards.

Also, I like the 256mb size.For some reason the 512mb size cardsusually sells for 3 to 4 times the price of the 256mb size. And if I happen to lose a $50 card, I will forgive myself much sooner then if I loose a $150 card. For me this is a big factor when you considerthe card isthe size of a postage stamp.

Not to sound like a commercial for ebuyer.com, but in addition to an incredible price, I was pleasently surprisedwith theirgreat service and quick delivery. You can't beat $3 for shipping.

I hope this helps.
zenmeta4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2004, 9:48 AM   #3

Having purchased the 256 card from ebuyer.com also (after viewing a similar'shameless plug' on this forum), I must concur that their service is unbelievable. 'course it's not like it's a major packaging or shipping feat. Price just can't be touched either.

Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 5:56 PM   #4

I was wondering the same thing so I checked with SimpleTech. They said the cards are identical - only the label is different. So just buy whichever is cheapest!
giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 9:06 PM   #5

Simpletechuses the same components as Panasonicfor their Standard and Pro-X SD Cards in 256mb and 512mb size (10mb/second).

Most "manufacturers" are using Sandisk Components instead. Personally, I would only buy Secure Digital cards using Panasonic Components.BTW, Panasonicisthe only brand of SD card in 512mb size on the manufacturerstested cardslist for my camera (Konica KD-510z/Minolta G500). For whatever reason, larger sizes tend to cause more problems, and Panasonic seems to be the most reliable in my model. So, I'd have no problem using a Simpletech card in larger sizes, either (since these are using the same components).

Simpletech does manufacturer it's own media in some other formats (i.e., CompactFlash),and that's where the Pro-X name started.

So, I think they probably just decided to use the Pro-X brand name on theSecure Digital Cards, too (it sounds better for marketing purposes). Interestingly, they seem to have quit using this name on their web site.

Now, what's even more interesting is that the 256mb and 512mb cards have recently disappeared from the main Secure Digital page on Simpletech's Web Site. So, I'm wondering if Panasonic decided that they'drather keep the components to themselves. It could just be a site redesign/oversite. Or, it could mean that Simpletech is getting ready to change component suppliers.

Although, the 256mb Card still shows up here:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 9:26 AM   #6

So will the SimpleTech STI-SD/256 256MB Secure Digital (SD Card) work with the Pansonic FZ-20? Good choice?

bouncerbenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 6:58 PM   #7

bouncerbenji wrote:
So will the SimpleTech STI-SD/256 256MB Secure Digital (SD Card) work with the Pansonic FZ-20? Good choice?
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Excellent choice.

The Sandisk Ultra-II may be faster in some benchmarks but the dpreview forums are full of horror stories about failed Sandisks.

alexo is offline   Reply With Quote