Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 15, 2004, 3:40 PM   #1
Default different brands of SD memory cards, how they compare?

I'm going to buy an SD card , and I'm confused by the price difference between brands. Is this important? Is there is a speed difference in SD cards like in CF? the brands here are: kingston, scandisk, pqi..
driliagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2004, 5:48 AM   #2

Don't worry, I've been having fun trying to work out all the differences too. To a certain extent, with the more expensive cards you are paying for brand and reliability, though SD cards do seem to be pretty reliable anyway. The main thing to be aware of is the read/write speeds of the different cards and also if you need to take advantage of it.

On average, most SD cards run around the 2MB/sec read/write speed, some cards claim to have higher write speeds (PNY 512MB SD cards can be bought cheap in the UK at the mo, they told me their's read at 2MB/sec but write at 6MB/sec). You can get high speed SD cards which run around the 9-10MB/sec for read and write operations; be wary of Lexar, their "high-speed" SD cards state 4-6MB/sec for read/write operations, but can be more expensive than higher speed cards. I believe Panasonic's own SD cards are generally of the 9-10MB/sec speed by default, once you get above the 256MB size.

The thing to remember with the extra expense of higher speed cards is, do you need them? Are you using a camera with a higher megapixel sensor, or does it feature a high speed burst mode? The other advantage is when downloading to your computer, if you have a high speed card reader, i.e. using USB 2.0, then you will benefit also in being able to read the card more quickly.
YenRug is offline   Reply With Quote