Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 12, 2004, 11:04 PM   #21

I haven't been in a situation yet where I used RAW on the road. The couple of trips where I've taken my digital camera I've shot only JPEG images and took 3 GB worth of Sandisk Flash Cards, which I never came close to filling up. I (admittidly riskily) treated the cards like film & just put them in their case as I filled 'em up & loaded the next card, then downloaded them when I got home. At the highest quality JPEG setting I get close to 300 images on each 512 MB card and 600 on each of the two 1 GB cards. Even though I shot lots of images during a two week cruise in April I reviewed the histograms on the back LCD for exposure accuracy and deleted shots I didn't care for as I went, so by the end of the trip I still had almost 1.5 GB of unused space.

I'm still shooting with an EOS 3 from time to time so I've never really gotten into that digital mode of shooting everything 10 times just because I can delete them if I don't like them, so I don't tend to fill up cards as fast as some do, but I can see why some do- it's easy & free (after buying everything!)

Canon's RAW converter SUCKS. I never used RAW much because it was so painful using that software. I picked up Capture One LE & have started shooting almost exclusivly RAW the last month or so & have really liked it. I'll probably be buying another couple of GB in flash cards over the next two months so I can keep from having to lug my laptop to Chicago in July to take in some Cubs games.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2004, 1:33 PM   #22

Hi, I am new here. I too have a Fuji fiinepix s7000 and am wondering what card you ended up buying. I am going on an Alaskan cruise next month and am considering a 2gb Microdrive card. I am also taking my laptop so I can write CDs every night. My 2d card is a 512mb card (this camera holds two cards). So anyway, just wondered what you decided on. I don't think I will be shooting in RAW.

KB is offline   Reply With Quote