Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 16, 2004, 7:42 AM   #1

I have a USB 2 8 in 1 card reader that when I inserted the card during the early stages of booting to xfer data to the HDD it caused check disk to show that that drive letter needed to be scanned. I put the card in a little earlier during the boot process than I have done in the past, but this never happened before.
I removed the card and hit the reset, but all 4 drive letters (4 slots in the reader) weren't there even after a 2nd reboot. There is NO driver for the reader. The O/S just sees 4 drive letters.
I then shutdown, powered off the powerstrip, then powered and booted back up and all was fine.

Is this normal for the O/S not to like a card in the reader at boot because of a incompatable FAT system?

videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2004, 9:26 AM   #2

I believe checkdisk is triggered because of a bit in the boot block or MBR saying that it was not properly shut down. Have you ever removed the CF card from the reader without first shutting down the device? Maybe that contributed to this. Just a wild guess.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote