Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 6, 2004, 7:08 PM   #1

I need a camera immediately or sooner. I lost all my professioanl Olympus SLR equipment in a recent burglary and the little Kodak DX3600 I had died. I loved the handy pocket camera but the shutter lag on the Kodak did not work for me as I do a lot of animal shots. I can't afford to replace the professioanl level equipment with digital yet. I want a really handy little pocket camera that doesn't have such awful shutter lag. I was all set to get the OlympusD580 when my husband pointed out I would be spending an extra $100-$200 for the memory card because the Olympus evidently won't take the 512 compact flash card I already own.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Is the compact flash card outdated? Is there a suitable camera out there that can use the card I already have? I want as little shutter lag as possible, a decent optical zoom, great photo quality, fast writing rate...any sugestions??t
Cougartoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2004, 7:27 PM   #2

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune with the burglary, hope you had insurance on your equipment. Have you looked into the Olympus C-8080 or the other crop of 8 megapixel prosumer digicams? They all take your 512MB compactflash. And no, compactflash is not outdated, just that some manufacturers have decided to use smaller (SD) and/or proprietary memory formats (xD) for their smaller digicams, and to avoid paying compactflash royalties.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 10:58 PM   #3

Oops. I blew it. I didn't realize the olympus used XD cards.

Any CF compatable card made in the last 3-4+ years will work with a 512MB card, so you should be safe.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 8:15 AM   #4

Go to the main review page http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

Now click on each size of camera .. Any of the"check price"camera are current models. Canon and Pentax have lots of models (from 2mp up) that will take your card.

Once you find one you are interested in check out the review and ask people in the appropriate section for reviews/comments.

CF is still the largest card available and is used by better cameras. Even Sony and Olympushave added CF support to their latest(high end) cameras.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote