Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 25, 2004, 1:45 AM   #1

I am thinking of buying a Minolta Dimage G400 and have some questions on memory compatibility. I currently have an older Olympus camera that uses a SmartMedia memory card. Does anyone know if I could possibly use this memory card on the Dimage? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
pinktubill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2004, 7:17 AM   #2

These memory types are totally different.

You must buy the type your camera supports. There are a number of types for Digital Cameras. For example, Smartmedia, CompactFlash, CompactFlash Type II, Secure Digital, Multimedia Cards, Sony Memory Stick, Sony Memory Stick Pro, and xD Picturecard.

Smartmedia is considered to be an obsolete memory format, and sizes are limited to a maximum of 128mb.

For the G400, I would recommend using Panasonic Secure Digital Media in larger sizes (or products using the same components, like the Simpletech Secure Digital Cards). I would avoid most other brands, including Sandisk Secure Digital.

Konica-Minolta used to list the smaller Sandisk Secure Digital Cards as compatible (through 128mb), with specific warnings about using the larger (256mb) Sandisk SD cards, but they have recently removed all Sandisk Secure Digital Cards from their list of testedcards for your camera.

You can see a compatibility chart for the camera here:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 12:46 PM   #3

Thank you so much! This helps me out a lot, because I'm convincing my parents of why I like this camera and that was the only question that my dad had which I was unable to find anywhere. Thank you for taking the time to answer.
pinktubill is offline   Reply With Quote