Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 26, 2004, 3:04 PM   #1

I have an Agfa ePhoto1680 that just died and, because I have so much invested in Smart Media cards and a reader,I needanother cam that'll use these same cards.I knowI'm not going to get a great cam for that price, but I have to get a cheap one nowso I can still use all this expensive memory and reader I have, then buy a second betteronelater when I have the money. I'm a video editor and needto replace mydead digicam rightawayto finish the projects I'm working on. I'm a still camera novice so I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions foradecent cheapdigicam that uses Smart Media cards?

djohn1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2004, 3:24 PM   #2

See my response to your question here (nobody makes cameras that support it anymore -- with the last one that I'm aware of being the Olympus C-5050z):

BTW, if you want to check the used market for a camera that can support Smartmedia, look through the Reviews list by Resolution (see the "Camera Reviews" menu on the site's main page). Here is the list of 3MP models. You'll see SM in the right hand column for models that supported Smartmedia:

Also, you may find that all of that "expensive memory" you bought, may not be worth much now. Flash Memory Prices have dropped considerably since your camera was made -- with much higher capacity cards available in newer formats now.

JimC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 4:24 AM   #3

You can buy many excellent used or refurbished digicams that use smartmedia, as already mentioned the Olympus 5050 (and lower numbers, 4040, 3040, etc.). Some more Olympus (if you want long zooms) is the C-700 and C-730 (I use a C-700). Others include older Fujis.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 5:26 AM   #4

Thanks for your reply. I just went ahead and bid on an old Fuji for $100 at eBay since the less I spend now the more I can spend when I buy my main digicam.
djohn1996 is offline   Reply With Quote