Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 26, 2004, 12:19 PM   #1

Hi everybody,

after surfing the net and finding no answer to my question I decided to ask, maybe somebode of you knows what are benefits (if there are such) of XD card vs CF card?? The price of XD card is double CF. What I gain choosing it,speed???

I am plannig to upgrade (to buy a new one) my Olympus 4000z to Olympus C8080 Wide zoom. It accepts both type of card, so which one should I buy - cheaperCF or more expensive XD ???
snupis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2004, 12:45 PM   #2

The battle Royal is between sD and CF, not xD!

xD is just a side show with a hint of the "Beta" format... It could be 10 times better, but it the long run will lose out to the more populars formats. Beside most speed/sizes upgrades always showed up 1st on CF before trickling down to others

Think about what camera you'll be upgrading to in the future.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 2:04 PM   #3

You need to keep that C4000, too. It will do some things easily that the 8080 has to work hard at. I think CF is here for a long time to come.

tsiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 2:17 PM   #4

On Olympus cameras, the only benefit of xD is you can use the camera's panoramic mode...it's actually disabled if you only have a CF in the camera.

Personally, I'd just keep the xD that came with the camera in it for panoramic use, and use a higher capacity CF for everything else (the CF may actually save the pictures faster than the xD).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 2:47 AM   #5

XD- Very small &very fast but few digicams uses this (Fuji & Olympus). Also the biggest capacity is only 256mb (I think so!). Expensive!

CF- Big capacity (4gig max!). Many digicams uses this.
judell74 is offline   Reply With Quote