Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 29, 2004, 9:59 AM   #1

I recently purchased the Canon Powershot Pro1 and a 2gb hitachi microdrive to accompany me ona3 week trip through Europe. I've found that if I hook my camera directly through the provided usb to my computer, it simply takes forever to transfer photos. This seems to be mostly b/c the photos are about 20mb in size. So I hooked the microdrive to my laptop and saw that all of the photos are saved at about 3mb in jpeg format, and were extremely easy to transfer to my harddrive, which I then transfered to my desktop for editing. My question is what the effect is of doing it this way? Do I lose picture quality by directly copying them? Why is the photo size so different? I assume the canon converts the photos to a different format? Forgive me if these questions seem remedial, and I thank you for all responses.

graffka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2004, 9:19 PM   #2

What is happening is that you are suffering from the slooow transfer rates that most cameras are capable of. When you hook straight to your computer with a card reader the transfer is going to generally be many times as fast. I use a 4gb microdrive with my 10D and I always use a card reader.

As far as the picture size it almost sounds like the software is converting them from jpeg to tiff as they are saved... another process that slows you down. If you copy straight using a reader it is not degrading your image quality.
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote