Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 13, 2004, 2:36 AM   #1

[align=left]I have bought Canon Powershot S1 IS recently. I am planning to buy a 4GB Microdrive. From this Forumi found out that Hitachi 4 GB is compatible.[/align]
[align=left]But prior to that i wrote a mail to Canon customer service and i go this reply.[/align]
[align=left]"Due to the ever-increasing number of companies manufacturing and selling CompactFlash cards, we cannot test and evaluate all the different brands, sizes, and speeds of cards available in the retail market. Any card that adheres to the Type I or Type II CompactFlash card standard, and is formatted with a FAT16 file system, should work in your camera up through the 2GB (the limit of the FAT16 file system) size. Cards larger than 2GB will be formatted FAT16 and the camera will only be able to see2GB worth of storage space"[/align]
[align=left]Is it true that only 2 GB of space is visible. In that case i will better buy a 2 GB drive and save money.[/align]

jhavk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2004, 6:48 PM   #2

if it says it will only format to FAT16 yes it is true a 4gb MD will only be a 2gb in that camera.

i strongly suggest a non MD type card for greater longevity. 2gb solid state cards have come down and good quality ones carry lifetime warranties. the MD carries a 1 year warranty. considerably shorter then a 2gb ultra 2 from sandisk at less the $200 now.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote