Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 9, 2004, 11:47 PM   #1

Saw this last night, any thoughts
Attached Images
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2004, 11:38 PM   #2

Just one, it has a rediculous price - $9999! They put out those kind of cards as nothing more than a "technology demonstrater" and for PR purposes so they can proclaim that they currently make the world'slargest CF card. They don't sell many, if any. You can get 1GB CF cards now for less than $80 -- I'll take twelve of them and pocket the difference

Here's part of the press release from the 12GB card:

Hannover, Germany, March 18, 2004- Pretec Electronics Corp. (Hall 19 Booth B06), the 2nd company in the world offering CompactFlash memory card (CF) card since 1995, dropped its pricing for 6GB CF memory card, the largest capacity flash memory card in the world of any small form factors which Pretec demonstrated and started shipping since September 2003, from $7499 to $3499.

Pretec also announced 12GB CF card today at CeBIT 2004, 300% larger capacity than any of its closest competitors in the world, priced at $9999, to be delivered by 2nd half of 2004.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2004, 11:46 PM   #3

sounds like a big waste of money to me...

i'd do wat steves suggested and just buy 12 GB lol, and save myself 8000+ dollars...

i guess it's publicity for the company...

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote