Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 22, 2004, 9:33 AM   #1

Hellothere, and hello Steve!

I live in Europe and I just bought the new Canon Ixus 40 (also called SD300). I have a friend working in USA (IDAHO) who offering me to buy a SD card there (40% cheaper in USA!!).

So, I'm lookinga 1 GB SD card. As I will record some videos, I need a fast one and also with low power consumption. I'm ready tospend 100-130USD.

Can you help me to choose? Thanks

I'm considering the following cards: (what's your opinion?)

Lexar 1GB 32x Secure Digital (SD) Card
Model SD1GB32231

KINGMAX 1GB Platinum 60X Secure Digital Card
Model SDC-001G3

Dane-Elec 1GB Secure Digital Card
Model DA-SD1024-R

gameboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2004, 10:45 AM   #2

I have little experience with SD cards but as I recall SanDisk makes the fastest SD cards around. Lexar generally makes a quality product, so I would expect it to be as fast as they claim.

I would bet that 32x is fast enough for recording movies.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 1:11 PM   #3

Thank for your advise!

I found the SanDisk 1GB SD Card Ultra II at 117 EURO (147 USD) at the following webshop... and this is the lowest price in Europe.You have better prices inUSA !

gameboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 9:32 PM   #4

Hey. I have a SD300 and Kingmax Platinum 1g sd. I love the kingmax platinum although I have only had it for 1 day so far. It is thinner than standard so it originally didnt appear to fit in the sd slot. Once I tried again, it went in perfectly.

Speaking about the performance, so far I shot about a 30 sec clip of vid at 640*480 with no probs. Also, I have been testing the continunous shot feature. It is utterly amazing how quick this camera goes. In Indoor mode, with flash off, this thing went really really quick. Then, I couldnt reproduce the same quickness in manual mode. It kept saying busy for a really short time after taking one shot. That really bothered me, and I wasnt sure I was encountering this problem. I kept trying to fix it but nothing worked. Finally I just turned my camera off, then when i turned it back on I tried again, and in manual mode it worked as quick in indoor mode.

I was reading the user man. and it said something on the terms that if the amount of the cameras interal free memory decreases, performance may decrease. As of now, that is the only thing I can think about. I dont really understand how the internal memory would be used in the process, but whatever.

Kingmax, so far, is cheap and good.
akxs is offline   Reply With Quote