Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 31, 2004, 7:59 PM   #1

I need help with my seagate 5gb microdrive.

it worked perfectly until I reformatted in my D70 when suddenly the battery was low and it stopped before it finished formatting.

after that, seems my microdrive's is corrupted (

does anyone knows how to low-level format the microdrive?

any help/suggestion would be very appreciated.
ankzmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2004, 10:29 PM   #2

If the power went out on the Nikon during formatting, a re-format should be all it needs. It is very rare that a low level format is required nowadays. can you reformat it thru a PC?
Jon S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 4:24 AM   #3

Hi Jon S, thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it.

I tried to reformat it several times using my nikon. but it always shows CHR. I tried to format it on computer. it worked for a while but it's so slow. After 2-3 shots, I played it, one images was broken, then the display showed CHR again :roll:.

It seems there are two partition in the microdrive.
I had the same problem with my Sandisk CF 512mb. But I can overcome the problem using SD Formatter. The program formatted the CF and made it one partition.

for this case, the problem is, the SD formatter is not compatible with microdrive. It only can fix flash drive.
ankzmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 4:19 PM   #4

I don't really know much about microdrives and the like... but are you formatting it as FAT32? Try that and see...

You might just want to search the web to see if any utilities/software are available to format/test/etc microdrives...

Based on what you are saying, it MAY be possible that the microdrive is physically damaged (head is damaged?) but I don't know...

In the worst case, you can try sending it back to Seagate to get a replacement. I think these drives have lifetime warranty (not sure though)...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote