Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 3, 2004, 5:19 PM   #1

I've just purchase the Canon S70 and would like to
know what's the fastest compact flash card to buy.

I've already got a 512mb that is okay, but I'd like to get a faster
card. My two year old granddaughter moves like the speed of
lightning, and I keep clicking away, but my present card takes
its time to digest....

any info.

grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2004, 7:11 PM   #2

the limitations are as much the camera as the CF card. depending on the current card you have it may not make that much of a difference. digicams are not the fastest at xfring to the cards fom the get go. an s70. as you may be aware the standard is set up as 1x 4x 8x 12x 24x 32x 40x 60x. 1x= 150KB/s. now that is the cards capability to move data, read or write, write generally may be a little slower. there is also the camera itself which will limit the xfr too. it takes power to write to a card more then reading so in most smaller camera limits are put on the write speeds for power economy. now another factor is the card talking to the camera. a camera may work at 24x with one brand of card and then only 12x with another. this is due to the controller in card and its interface with that particular camera.

a camera like an S70 is limited to approx 12x. it also has a small buffer.getting a faster card for that particular camera would not really help your issue depending on what you already own. some cards are dead slow and are only useful for leveling table legs.if your thinking of the future get the fastest card you can afford along with the largest size too. as you move up in the dighital world them little pictures start to take up lots of room on the cards

children are fast movers i even have trouble at times at 8fps catching them.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote