Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 2, 2005, 5:32 PM   #11

Your best bet is to use a card reader to see if the files are readable (these are very inexpensive).

If the above utility does not work with a card reader, there are some commercial utilities that you can try.

One is Photorescue:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 10:47 AM   #12

I too have just experienced taking a bunch of photos (On a ski trip which can't be duplicated) only to get back home and the card has no images on it.

During my photo taking I noticed that if I went into "play" mode to view the photos and hit the NEXT key I would receive an error. But if I hit the PREV key I could view all the photos. I am now running the Digital Image Recovery Utility which has not found any images yet. It is a 512 Viking card. I have used it for 2 years by either moving, copying and then deleting via my SanDisk card reader. If I get these photos recovered I will definitely do an in-camera cardformat.

I also have downloaded a trial version of Photo Rescue.

Update.. The card has the usual DCIM and Nikon directories in addition to .Trashes and a sub directory off that called 503. They all are empty when view via Explorer.

2nd Update - The Digital Image Recovery Utility ran for about 8 hrs and found nothing. I just installed PhotoRescue Trial Version (You can find photos but not SAVE them) and in less than a minute it found ALL my photos! I'm going to purchase it now.
ICook2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 11:33 AM   #13

I just want to thank you very much for your information on how to recover images frommy memory card. I thought that I had lost all of my pictures. I cannot thank you enough. The Internet is truly a wonderful thing. I went to many camera stores and NO ONE could help me. Thank you again! You are very though with your directions and that is exactly what I needed.
Melissa1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 7:00 PM   #14

I use Sandisk RescuePRO 2. Although it tells you it's not made for it, it does actually work on hard drives too.

Even after deleting/formatting removing of partition and repartitioning and formatting again with a different format (NTFS as opposed to the original FAT32) The data was STILL 100% recoverable.
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote