Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 19, 2004, 8:08 AM   #1

Hi all!

My Seagate ST1 5Gb microdrive (ST650211CF) is NOT working on my Canon 20D.

If I turn on the camera with this microdrive inserted I get ''ERROR CF''.

If I try to format the microdrive I Get ''Error 99'' and camera locks (I have to restart it).

The camera works fine with many other Compact Flash (but I've not tested it with any other microdrive).

The Microdrive works fine with a USB CF card reader on Windows XP (I can format it with FAT32 and use it).

Any Hint?
MarcoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2004, 10:01 PM   #2

I have the same model microdrive (same model number: ST650211CF), P/N: 9AF212-001 Date: 05107. It worked fine in a 300D and a 20D. I formatted it using a card reader under Windows 2000 for FAT32, 32K sectors. I doubt that the formatting would be the issue, butperhaps a low-level drive check would help?

My drive is also marked "For Embedded Application Only". Perhaps Seagate started enforcing this; disabling their standard CF capability (for unknown reasons).

I have posted before that the Hitachi 4GB microdrive is significantly faster in a 20D, and (perhaps I didn't post this before because it is speculative) potentially less power-hungry. The Seagate did seem to be power-hungry in the 300D. I would shoot for a day with my wife, she using the 300D with the Seagate and I using the Hitachi with the 20D. I'd take 4 times as many shots, and she'd run low on battery first. This is not definitive, but a potential indicator -- there are many more variables than the CF card here. (Slightly more battery power with the 20D, different lenses, different camera; it's nothing as obvious as her looking at a bright screen all day / shooting with flash on while I'm not -- we were shooting similarly, and she was shooting less than I was.)

This is to say, in my opinion, the Hitachi is a superior drive and the better buy. Especially now, when the prices have dropped and you might be able to find it for retail prices that people used to hack apart Muvo players to obtain, I think thatthe retail Hitachi isthe better buy, despite the slightly larger capacity of the Seagate.

I should also add to the "worked fine" comment that I experienced some data loss with the Seagate. It's speculative, but I guess that I might have exposed it to a magnetic field from the back of an appliance -- I watched the data getting corrupt and disappearing while I was reading it in that position from a card reader onto my laptop. I had done the same thing with the Hitachi moments earlier without a problem. I also experience some drive disconnections with the Seagate that I've never experienced with the Hitachi. I'm not sure about the causes, butthe Hitachi is faster, more reliable, and potentially less power hungryin my case.

Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 10:13 PM   #3

I'm having a similar issue with my Canon 20D. I have had access to testing serveral of these drives, and out of the three that I tested, only one of them worked. Because Windows isn't all that effective about giving usefull partition information, I dropped my SanDisk card reader onto my linux box, and ran the "fdisk -l" to find out the information about the drive. I have tried replicating everything about the working drive, and have not been able to get it to work. All three of the cards have the same model number (ST650211CF) and same P/N (9AF212-001). Does anybody know if I could fix this issue with the IDE version of the type 2 CF reader? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Working Drive:
Disk /dev/sda: 5000 MB, 5000970240 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 608 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 607 4875696 b W95 FAT32
Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
phys=(604, 254, 63) logical=(606, 254, 63)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Non Working Drives:
Drive 2
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 608 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/sda1 1 608 4883728+ b W95 FAT32
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Drive 3
154 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1022 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 9548 * 512 = 4888576 bytes

jjamesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 2:54 AM   #4

I believe I have figured out the issue, but would like conformation. The drives that appear to work properly are drives that do not have any information regarding the firmware that they have loaded. Firmware information can be found on the back of the card towards the bottom. It will list FW: 3.04 (example). If your card is missing this, then there is a good chance it will work as a Type II compact flash card should. If it does have the newer firmware, it is incompatable with Compact Flash IO, and can't be used in most digial cameras.

This theory comes from the 4 ST1's that I have had access to, and some further research in forums regarding the the ST1's reliablility and usablility as a CF/II. Once retail 1" drives are available it may be possible to get the firmware to load on these drives and use them once again as a Compact Flash Card, but as of right now I don't see any way to retrieve the firmware off of the drives that have the older firmware loaded, and get it to load on the new drive. Seagate's technical data gives no indication on how firmware can be verified, or flashed.

--JJamesB
jjamesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 9:34 AM   #5

Hi jjamesb,

I got a Seagate 5Gb CF card. Unfortunate for me it has a FW3.04 firmware written at the back. If what you are saying is true, is it possible for me to extract or delete the firmware from the CF card?
tension59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 12:40 PM   #6

For what is worth... I can confirm your theory.

My drive HAS the firmware indication on the back (FW: 3.04) and is not working.

If anyone has news from seagate, please help.

Pleasefollow also the otherthread (Rio Carbon Player - Seagate 5GB Microdrive) and post answer there, there are people with similar problems.

Thank you
Old Feb 5, 2005, 12:46 PM   #7

The firmware indication theory seems to be wrong.

A guy on the other thread i mentioned has a drive WITHOUT firmware indication that is not working.

Old Feb 15, 2005, 4:11 AM   #8

Hi All,

I am having the same problem. Bought it off E-bay, formatted etc. Doesn't work. Got in touch with Seagate and they told me that the product is not ready for retail yet and will not work in Digitcal Camera's, PDA's etc. They are receiving a lot of these complaints and are investigating how people are obtaining the cards and selling them

Delboysafa
delboysafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 9:57 PM   #9

Hello,

I am Wolf_Spyder from Ebay and other places like AR15.com & FAL Files. I bought the Seagate 5 Gb. Microdrive off of Ebay just like many of you have. The seller is USBETC*COM. I have emailed a few people who also bought these drives from the same seller as I. None of them have worked in a Digital Camera save one. One guy got lucky. I am fighting it out with the seller because of a restocking fee.

Any way, my Seagate ST1 has the FW: 3.04, and it will not work in my Canon 10-D. Seagate has been of very little help. They told me they are not even working on newer firmware for digital cameras. I am innerested in finding a way to flash the firmware. My old PIII 500, Win 98 SE, will access the ST1 if I use the card reader that the seller offered as a free gift is used. So the drive works. I just can not get the 10-D to read the card. I also get the "Error 02" message and the camera locks up, untill I remove the ST1.

I might be able to trade for a white label Hitachi 4 Gb. Microdrive. The last three digits of the Hitachi are "47C". Does that mean anything to any one? I am also waiting on an email from Hitachi about the "47C". So if I find out anything I will post it.

-- Wolfy
Wolf_Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 3:06 PM   #10

Wolf_Spyder wrote:
Quote:
I just got two drives from the same reseller, same result. To sell them as being fat32 compatible, when in fact they are not readable as such without a usb adapter, is misleading at best.
Quote:
Any luck in getting them to bend on the restocking fee? I have sent them two emails thusfar, with no answer back.
Quote:
Hello,

I am Wolf_Spyder from Ebay and other places like AR15.com & FAL Files. I bought the Seagate 5 Gb. Microdrive off of Ebay just like many of you have. The seller is USBETC*COM. I have emailed a few people who also bought these drives from the same seller as I. None of them have worked in a Digital Camera save one. One guy got lucky. I am fighting it out with the seller because of a restocking fee.

Any way, my Seagate ST1 has the FW: 3.04, and it will not work in my Canon 10-D. Seagate has been of very little help. They told me they are not even working on newer firmware for digital cameras. I am innerested in finding a way to flash the firmware. My old PIII 500, Win 98 SE, will access the ST1 if I use the card reader that the seller offered as a free gift is used. So the drive works. I just can not get the 10-D to read the card. I also get the "Error 02" message and the camera locks up, untill I remove the ST1.

I might be able to trade for a white label Hitachi 4 Gb. Microdrive. The last three digits of the Hitachi are "47C". Does that mean anything to any one? I am also waiting on an email from Hitachi about the "47C". So if I find out anything I will post it.

-- Wolfy
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote