Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 27, 2005, 2:46 PM   #1

i've just bought a sony w-1 and can't decide wether to buy a 256 or a 512 meg memory stick? what are the pro's and con's? i wanna get one large enough but dont wanna waste money by going over the top with a 512........

nickspratling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2005, 4:30 PM   #2

my rule is shoot the largest highest image quality i can get from the camera. that said you have to choose the size.

i shoot news locally. sports stuff and other. i use a canon EOS1Dm2 8MP DSLR. shooting sports i keep it atL JPGcompression 7. with a 2 GB card i can get 500+ images at iso 400 and above.

when shooting for me and RAW at iso 100 its set up is on RAW and its considerably less the 200 images from the same card.

i go with the largest fastest card i can afford because i'll do my best to fill it andthats not hard to do.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 6:04 AM   #3

I also got the W-1 last December and opted for the 512MB PRO memory stick.

I think 256MB is an absolute minimum, but if you have long vacationsor plan to use the MPEGMovieVX mode, you should go for the higher capacity.
virgil_dlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 11:54 AM   #4

I definately agree...I got a 256 and a 128 for my W-1. Recently, I went on vacation in India, and found myself running out of space very quickly. I ended up having to delete some pictures, and be very conservative in how many I took, and thus did not make the most of the trip.

By all means, buy the absolute biggest you can afford! I thought I would never fill up my 256+128, but I was very sorry when I did. Hope that helps!
rg7 is offline   Reply With Quote