Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 10, 2005, 6:34 PM   #1

I have a Lexar 4x 512MB card, and I can offload the entire thing (481MB) in 83 seconds with a USB 2.0 card reader. . . how can this be? Using my usb 1.1 card reader it takes upwards of 20 minutes to offload the whole card. Also, I have a 256 card (don't know the speed) and it was purchased about 2 years ago, so I think it is maybe an 8x, and I can offload that at a speed of 10.5MB/s. My friend can do a similar thing with his USB 2.0 card reader, offloading an entire 256MB 2x SD card in under 15 seconds. What is up with all this?
Why do I need an 80x card, (besides the camera to card write speed)if my 8x offloads just as fast :lol:
Any insight into this would nice.
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2005, 8:19 PM   #2

KM_krazy wrote:
(besides the camera to card write speed)
I think you answered yourself there :-) Read speed is always faster than write speed. These cards have the ability to burst to higher than specified speeds, and offloading fewer larger chunks should also speed things up a bit compared to many small chunks (raw and tif vs jpg for example).
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote