Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 18, 2005, 1:16 AM   #1

I just noticed that newegg.com has the 1 GB high-speed (60x) Kingmax SD card for $78, and has a $13 mail-in-rebate on it as well. Net of $65 is a nice price for that card. Watch which one you order, one product number has the rebate and one does not...
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2005, 1:59 AM   #2

This Kingmax 60X 1GB card costs $1 more and does not have a rebate. However, it's a different model. Notice how this card is thinner but doesn't have the erase protection switch (who uses it anyway?). This one is made with Kingmax's PiP technology which they say involves a mould instead of bit bits of plastic stuck over the chips.

This one is $1 cheaper and is valid for a $13 rebate. This one however, is based on the normal SD card manufacturing process. That is, they get a chip and PCB and stick to plastic covers over the top. I'm not sure why Kingmax has decided to switch over to this one? Perhaps it is cheaper since they can just rebadge generic cards?

Personally i leaning towards the older one with PiP technology. It has to be better, why else would Kingmax sell this one cheaper? (Assuming they do, that's how newegg would be able to afford the rebate and selling it at a cheaper price, right?).

I think Kingmax aren't making as much profit with the older cards because they have to manufacture it themselves since they patended the PiP technology (basically the traces and chips were done directly into the mould). And since they have to make it themselves, it costs moroe but they also have to sell it at competitive prices. With the their new SD cards, they can just rebadge (rebrand) any other generic SD card and thus they save money. Unless they do make these SD cards themselves too, but i very much doubt that.
kimnkk is offline   Reply With Quote