Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Mar 17, 2005, 1:23 PM   #1

I recently bought my wife a Canon Digital Rebel (EOS 300D) and while walking around taking pictures a thought occurred to me. I had put my Viking 512MB CF card in it to take my test pictures. I was wondering if this card was fast enough for this camera and what the optimum speed should be.

So I found this test site: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6425

and this site: http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/compact_flash_memory_cards.html

But I must confess that the results from the first link leave me at a loss. (The don't test the Viking cards and I don't really relate to what they are telling me anyway.) The information at the second link lead me to believe that with this camera the speed of the card makes little to no difference.

Is this correct?

mrcoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2005, 3:19 PM   #2

the results are for the various high end model cf cards that are the ones purchased and used by the operators of the mentioned cameras. in short someone using a 1Dm2 isn't generally going to go out and get a card that will not at least at minimum perform the highest transfer rate they can squeeze out of it per camera. if i were to purchas e a viking card and place it it my 1Dm2 it can and most likely slow the function of the camera down due to a slow transfer rate.

what the galbraith chart demonstates is that each model card will perform differently in different model cameras. this is due to limits put on that function by the hardware and firmware in each camera.

as far as the info goes it fairly simple. the 2 major formats used in these cameras are JPG and RAW. raw is the base or original image as it came off the sensor. no in camera processinghas been done to it at all. this is very popularbecause it allows for a higher latitude of adjustment in post processing.RAW is compressed but not as much and is a lossless in its compression. so they are bigger the JPG. but it goes straight to the buffer and then card with no conversion being done.JPG is used by lots of consumer cameras and even news organizations. it is high compressable but the compression is a lossy type. there is a loss of info when it is compressed they are smaller in size. now the differences in the transfer rates is due tothe differences in the 2 formats. a jpg starts out as a RAW and is then converted in the camera to a JPG and then depending on the compression rate this then crunched down and sent out to the card. thiswill take more time. sort of like RAW is the express lane to the card and JPG requires the local route with stop lights to get to the card.

it takes longer to send the equivelent size jpg files to a card then the RAW files. thats why the 2 values.

cameras can do what is called buffering out. that is in the process the card can only take the files at a certain rate. if the camera exceeds that rate while shooting and the buffer fills you will not be allowed to take another image until buffer memory is freed up to accept it. that can be upsetting when your shooting something important.

the higher the transfer rate the faster the card accepts info the less chance of buffering out. but the caveat there is that your camera needs to be able to send that data fast to to match that of the card. its a balancing act.

as for viking not making the cut well speak to viking on that issue.

you might want to look at the kingston elite pro 1GB card at $52 after the rebate. it will perform in a 300D quite nicely

to answer your question at the bottom. a good quality card will always perform better the a cheapy. where it performs is in to matters it will always deliver the fasted transfer rate that your camera can deliver and if i should fail itwill be replaced at no cost to you other then the return shipping. this is because all the good cards carry lifetime warranties the cheapies don't.

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 4:55 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. I was filling in some open time today and was looking a several Kingston cards today and had come to the conclusion that they might be the way to go.

mrcoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 12:29 PM   #4

any idea what the write speed of a nikon 8800 is to the card - no need to buy the best card if the camera cannot produce high speeds. I am looking at the kingston elite pro 1 gb - will this allow max write speeds from camera Thanks Cal
gilly89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 4:04 PM   #5

gilly89 wrote:
any idea what the write speed of a nikon 8800 is to the card - no need to buy the best card if the camera cannot produce high speeds. I am looking at the kingston elite pro 1 gb - will this allow max write speeds from camera
That card is "magnitude" faster than camera is capable to writing.

I think all currently sold "brand-cards" are faster than writing capability of any non-DSLR, excluding cases of somekind weird "incompatibility"...
For example in KM A2 Kingston Elite Pro is way slower than normal Kingston. (same with Sandisk Extreme)
Without that weird slow behavior with A2 I would myself immediately buy 4 GB Kingston Elite Pro.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 9:36 AM   #6

just a follow up - I bought the Kingston elite pro 1gb card , what a mistake - it performed almost exactly the same as my old scandisk 512 mb card ( and thats slow) maybe its one of those weird cards that doesn`t work well in a Nikon. So anyway off i go and bought a Lexar 1gb 80x - Well this is better, I have write times that even ididn`t expect and am soooooooooooo happy

After shutter has been pressed and released write times are as follows. camera settings were at 8 mgshutter speed at 1/250 and timing continued until the green indicator showed writing was complete to the card .

raw- 20 secthis seems to be on the slow side compared to other posted #s

hi- 13 sec

extra - 2.5 secwhat an improvement - checked at least 10 x

extra- 5shot hi speed burst - 20 sec

extra - 5shot lo speed burst - 22 sec

fine - no hour glass or green indicator - ready to go

fine- 5 shot hi speed burst - 12 sec

fine -5 shot lo speed burst - 12 sec

as i most always us extra this card works great have a good day Cal
gilly89 is offline   Reply With Quote