Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 5, 2005, 12:01 PM   #1

I have a Lexar card with no problems. I just bought a PNY card, and noticed that the outer casing seems slightly flimsy compared to the Lexar.

Anyone have opinions on the quality of these brands?

Lexar is MADE IN USA.
PNY is MADE IN TAIWAN.
wile_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2005, 6:41 PM   #2

I've always heard Lexar, Kingston, Sandisk = good. Pny = bad. Don't know if it is true, but I've had no problems at all with Lexar and Sandisk Ultra II. Never bought any others.
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 5:37 AM   #3

I have a 256 MB PNY card (mfd. by Toshiba) and other than the write speed being slow, it works fine. The only time I notice the slow write time is if I try shooting video--then the buffer in my DiMage Z1 fills up in something like 17 seconds, as opposed to a faster card letting it go until the card is full.
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 4:44 PM   #4

Charlie46227 wrote:
Quote:
I've always heard Lexar, Kingston, Sandisk = good. Pny = bad. Don't know if it is true, but I've had no problems at all with Lexar and Sandisk Ultra II. Never bought any others.

Not saying the PNY won't work. I've just heard that you may have a 'failure' when you can't 'afford' a failure. If the cost saving were great enough, I might go for PNY (or others), but for me, the savings isn't great enough, especially given that I expect to use the cards for quite a long time.
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote