Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 6, 2005, 5:47 AM   #1

Just purchased a c8080, and apparently it works with both xd and compactflash. We are a family on a tight budget and want to know if we were to savethe majority of pics in HQ which card would be best for us.
amartin1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2005, 6:27 AM   #2

Compact Flash cards are more readily available and cheaper than the equivalent XD cards, with amuch greater choice of makes, speed and size (capacity).You should be able to store the same number of images with each format, size for size.

However, the Olympus XD card is the only one that will allow you to use the Panorama function in your camera. If you plan to use this function then you should go for that card. If not, I would suggest you go for Compact Flash. These can also be used in many other devices as well as your camera. Another thing your camera can do is use both cards, switching between XD or Compact Flash, and you can copy files from one type to the other in camera.

Either way, I would recommend you get at least 512mb, preferably 1Gb. The XD is currently only available up to 1Gb, whereas Compact Flash can be bought up to 8Gb. Though why anyone would actually want an 8Gb card (other than professionals)beats me.

Hope this helps,

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote