Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 10, 2005, 5:58 AM   #1

I know this depends completely on the person and situations but I was wondering if someone could give me an idea of how much memory I need.

I know 1gb is pretty much the sweet spot for prices right now (I am looking at the sandisk III) for $100. Will 1gb just be gobbled up with the Rebel XT?

Do you recommend getting two 1gb or just 1 2gb?

DReborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2005, 9:31 AM   #2
Super Moderator

i have 2 2gb lexar professionals.. but rarely need the 2nd one, but it is there if the first one fails...

therefore, it is always better to have a backup card.. so my advice is to get the 2 1gb sandisk extreme III's.. don't skimp on the card, make sure you get one that can keep up with your camera.. so the sandisk extreme III is a great choice, and so is the lexar professional 80x models..

enjoy, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 9:32 AM   #3

Hards...you are just everywhere helping me out aren't you? =)
Old May 10, 2005, 2:29 PM   #4

I can fit about 280 pics from my 20D on a 1gig card using JPEG FINE resolution.

Seems to be enough for me, as my eyes go square after about 120 shots in one day.

I usually unload my shots at the end of each day's shooting, which could be anywhere from about 50 to 120 pics.

I don't think I have yet to half fill my card.

I paid $59 for it on sale, just a garden variety Kingston card.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 3:12 PM   #5

:bye:I agree with the advice of having multiple cards rather than 1 large capacity card. I use a 1 GB lexar 80x as my primary card with a Maxxum 7D and it has been great. I have a couple of 512 MB SanDisk Ultra II for backups. I got2 of the512 MB cards rather than another 1 GB for more versatility. it gives me the backup I want, but also the ability to make a quick change if my shooting venue changes. I don't always like to have all of my shots lumped together on one card.
42stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 3:42 PM   #6

OK, great...I think I am going to pick up a 1gb lexar 80x or the new sandisk III for around $100 (pretty cheap if you ask me...I remember when 128mb went for that much!).

I'll see how it goes but I'll probably get a slower 512 backup card (just in case).

Thanks everybody!
Old May 10, 2005, 8:39 PM   #7

I've been using Sandisk Extreme 1gb cards and like Terry says in an average day you don't fill up a card. I just prefer having several smaller 1gb cards around than one big 2gb or 4gb or bigger card, just in case it fails.

I also got a flyer from Costco(Canada) that they will be having the 1gb Ultras on sale sometime in late June or early July. :-) Will be time to stock up and get a few more :-)

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 9:50 AM   #8

Too late, but another consideration is that if you start shooting RAW*, that 1G card will be good for about 110 or so shots. If that is an issue for you, the premium for a 2G card might be worth it. My 20D shows 222 shots (RAW) available on a newly formatted 2G card. I carry a couple of 1GB spares also, but the 2GB is usually enough for an afternoon of wildlife photography.

As to 512MB cards, since I only shoot RAW, those are like the old 12 exposure Ektachrome rolls from back in my film days--OK in the house, but not worth carrying out to the field!

* Footnote. Once you start shooting RAW and learn to process with Digital Photo Pro or RSE to get the greater brightness range and higher quality images, you'll never go back to JPEG. Even at Large/Fine, that JPEG is discarding large amounts of image information--JPEG is a lossy compression.Why do you think that file size is so small?

wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 2:36 PM   #9

Thanks for all the advice! I went with the lexar 80x pro and it is AWESOME. Incredibly fast.

I will be shooting 60% fine jpeg and the rest raw so the 1gb should be ok...for now. =)

I was wondering what you meant about Digital Photo Pro or RSE? I'm not familar with those...

Just getting into dSLR's and of course, RAW shooting so i'm really excited!
Old Jun 19, 2005, 9:12 PM   #10

The 2GB really have come down to just about $120 these days. I bought a 1GB for $62 (after rebate) 2 weeks ago, and then Dell just had an offer for $97 for a 2GB CF card after rebate.

There's something nice about popping in the 2GB card and seeing that I have space for about 500 pictures in .JPG mode.
tkrotchko is offline   Reply With Quote