Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 15, 2005, 5:42 PM   #1

hey guys..i just bought my first digicam a few weeks ago-- a sony cybershot P100. i actually found out about it through steve's best camera list.

i need some advice on memory sticks, though. i was just looking at newegg.com, but i have no idea where to begin. i've heard some work for some cameras, but i'm not really sure which kind my camera takes. i've looked in the operating instructions and stuff, but i haven't found any specific information.

and what's the difference between a regular memory stick and a memory stick DUO? is one better than the other?

i'm aiming at getting either 256mb or 512mb. thanks for your help.
megz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2005, 6:02 PM   #2

There are multiple types of Sony Memory Stick. Your camera is designed to use Memory Stick (which is only available in sizes up to 128mb), or Memory Stick Pro (which is available in larger sizes). Note that the highest quality Movie Modes on some models may require Memory Stick Pro to prevent abbreviated recording times.

You can use Memory Stick Duo with an adapter, since this is physically smaller memory compared to Memory Stick or Memory Stick Pro (but, unless you have another device that requires Memory Stick Duo, I would stick with Memory Stick Pro to avoid the need to use an adapter).

Just to confuse things more, you'll find different speeds of Memory Stick Pro products. Some of the newer cards are up to around 20mb/second now. However, it's very unlikely that any of the current cameras will take advantage of the fastest cards available. Given the small price difference, I'd probably go this route anyway (faster card).

Here are some examples ofsome Memory Stick Pro products (and there are more):

Lexar 512mb Memory Stick Pro

Sandisk Ultra II 512mb Memory Stick Pro

Sony 512mb Memory Stick Pro

JimC is online now   Reply With Quote