Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 7, 2005, 4:44 PM   #1

Which card is better in terms of reliablilty, speed?

I have to deceide to buy the 2GB version of either. (or is it better to get 2 1GB cards instead?) In case one card breaks down....

Sandisk Ultra III or Kingston Elite Pro SLC?

What are the differences?
thommas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2005, 2:24 PM   #2

Sandisk Ultra III:

Speed Rating: A minimum of 20MB/sec sequential write and read speed (133x)

Warranty: Lifetime Limited Warranty

Kingston Elite Pro SLC:

Speed Rating: Up to 10MB/sec. (66x)read rate and up to 8MB/sec write rate (50x) - all capacities except 4GB=45x

Warranty: All cards come with a lifetime warranty, 24/7 technical support.

So basically the Kingston pro cards are like the slightly older Ultra II cards when it comes to speed. But when you consider that the only way your going to be taking advantage of the higher data throughput speed is in acard reader since no currect camera reads or writes much faster than 40x it may come down to the price difference between the two cards as the real determining factor as to which one to buy.Personally having seen the price difference locally Kingston will be my next large CF card purchase. And as for Kingston as a company, last time I checked they were the largest computer ram modual manufacture in the world supplying most of the major OEM's like Dell and such.:!:

tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 2:48 PM   #3

I think if I was in the market for 2 gigs of space, I'd definitely get 2 1 gig cards. I buy most of my CF memory from tigerdirect...they have pretty good prices and I've always gotten my orders quickly.

Here's their 1 gig and larger selection, http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati....asp?CatId=899

I like Kingston better, myself. I've known too many people who have had Sandisk cards to die to risk it. Corsair is another great brand,they make some of the highest quality memory on the market.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote