Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 19, 2005, 4:39 AM   #1

I will be ordering a Canon G6 this week and will need to order a memory card at the same time. Not sure what to go for...

Pixmania has the hitachi 2gb microdrive for £87and the Sandisk 1gb Ultra II 66x compact flash for £91.

2gb is probably more than I need, where as 1gb would be about right but for the price it does seem logical to get the microdrive. I'm not overly bothered about about transfer.read, write speeds,etc or is the difference between the sandisk CF and the microdrive really, really noticeable?

Not sure if Hitachi did the microdrive in 1gb capacity but I can't find it on any UK sites, which is a shame as it'd be the right size for me and I'd guess the price would be better (cheaper:-)).

The main thing is reliability, I don't want to take a load of pics and lose them due to a malfunction in the card. This is my only worry about the microdrive, so how do microdrives compare to CF in terms of reliability and data integity?

As you can guess, I'd prefer the microdrive but having never owned a camera that accepts them before I'd appreciate some opninions about them before deciding.

Any advice & opninions welcomed

Thanks very much:-)

scooby snacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2005, 6:29 AM   #2

Reliability is more of an issue with a microdrive than with solid state memory. Since pretty much all memory problems seem to be the result of handling, you shouldn't have any problems with either if you are carefull. If you are not carefull, I think it is more likely that you will drop your camera than hurt the microdrive.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 7:14 AM   #3

Found the 1gb Sandisk Ultra II for £67 on cameras2u so think I'm going to go for that and probably order a microdrive at a later date.
scooby snacks is offline   Reply With Quote