Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 28, 2005, 11:37 AM   #1

Just purchased a Casio Z750 and I would like to take advantage of the Mpeg4 video capabilities of the camera. The manual says to use a high speed sd card for the video to avoid dropped frames.

Manufacturers seem to call their cards "pro" or "ultra" with speeds of 60X or 80X or even 133X.

What speed would be suitable for this situation???

HB2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2005, 10:39 PM   #2

640x480 MPEG4 video at 30 frames per second is about 1.8megabits per second. A 32x SD card is about 4.5 mbps. So 60 (9.8mbps) is overkill, and anything higher is a waste of money unless you're planning to use the card for some very fast device in the future.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 10:43 PM   #3

I think so, just buy a regular but reliable one.
leafalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 8:29 AM   #4

sgspirit is on the right track, but you should consult the specifications in the manual to confirm the actual **bitrate** of the MPEG4 coding at the highest quality setting (eg. 3 Mbps (megabits per second)). Relying on the screen size and frames-per-second is not sufficient to determine the actual speed of data transfer, because there is also hardware (computer chip inside the camera) data compression.

When you look at the speed of the memory card, you should pay attention to the "write" (or data recording) speed: this should be faster than the bitrate of your digital camera movie mode.

My Sanyo Xacti C4 records at highest quality of 640 X 480 pixels at 29.97 fps and 3 Mbps, and it has no problem with a non "high-speed" SD card (I have both "high-speed" and non HS cards). However, I have only used it to shoot scenary, so I don't know what it is like with action shots.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote