Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 8, 2005, 4:58 AM   #1

I recently bought a Canon S2 IS to replace my trusty Canon A75 and my clunky Canon ZR70 camcorder. The A75 was(and still is) a wonderful digicam that has served me well for the last couple of years. The ZR70 was great for bright outdoor shooting(lowlight performance was terrible) but was too big to lug around while on vacation. I hope that the S2 IS will give me the best of both worlds while travelling.

Seems to me that the biggest drawback of the S2 is that while shooting 640x480@30fps movies it will fill a 1GB card in ~ 7 minutes. The need for a portable storage unit became obvious.

While surfing the net I noticed that Costco was offering the Wolverine 60GB FlashPac for $180.00 AR. For those that don't know , Costco has the best return policy in the retail universe and I reasoned that for them to carry it , it must be a quality gadget.

After a little snoopin' around I found that the Wolverine unit is a rebadged Vosonis X's Drive II 2160+. I found several online retailers offering it for $75.00. A Samsung 2.5" 60GB 5400 RPM notebook HDD is widely available for ~$80.00.

I ordered both bits and assembled them and now have a spiffy new PSD for ~ $150.00.

I have tested the X's drive by transferring a full PNY 512MB CF card to it. It will transfer the cards contents in about 3.5 minutes. Transferring 512 MB from the X's Drive to my PC takes ~ 45 seconds.

This should work nicely.
hagbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links