Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 5, 2003, 7:45 PM   #1
Default can I use a smartmedia card from a Fuji in an Olympus

I want to borrow a friend's smartmedia card from his Fuji and use it in my Olympus and want to make sure that it will work.. It is just a matter of sticking the card in my camera and then formatting it???

Also, when I am done with it, does he just need to format it in his Fuji to make it work for him again?
mgazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2003, 9:04 PM   #2
Default SmartMedia card

I think you'll find that the cards will work in either camera.

My first camera was a Leica Digilux zoom (same as the Fuji Mx 1700 zoom). I now have an Olympus C2100UZ too. Both use Smart Media cards. I've found that the cards can be used in either camera, without any need to reformat them or do anything.

The only (occasional) trouble I've had has been since I installed Windows XP. Sometimes, after moving all the pictures from the card to my computer hard drive with my card reader (an Olympus USB SmartMedia reader-writer) I find that instead of the files all being moved, they've only been copied. Once, I found that although the computer showed the card as empty, the camera showed it as having room for fewer pictures. Windows XP doesn't seem to be 100% compatible with the card reader's drivers, even though I downloaded new ones that are supposed to be compatible with Windows XP!

Whenever I've encountered this sort of problem, I've just re-formatted the card in the camera.
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2003, 4:30 PM   #3
Default Oly SM Fix

You can get the Panorama function and Oly format with this site info http://www.marshost.com/~rashmun/
slobo is offline   Reply With Quote