Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 25, 2003, 5:02 PM   #1
Default magnetic cores are coming full circle and may...

Interesting reading: http://www.tvtechnology.com/features...-KP-MRAM.shtml

...the basis of future MRAM technology, which is said to be much faster and less expensive to make than today's nonvolatile Flash memory. Flash memory cells are damaged each time a bit is written in the memory; because of this, Flash, which is well-suited for consumer electronics, has a life of about 10,000 read/write cycles before the memory cells fault or fail altogether. MRAM, which is a better choice for desktop or mission-critical systems, could last indefinitely.
... and much faster than flash too!
MRAM uses smaller-sized memory cells and functionality is simpler to manage when compared to other nonvolatile storage technologies. Charge pumps, necessary with Flash, are eliminated in MRAM. With MRAM's very fast read and write times - on the order of a few tens of nanoseconds - opportunities abound. Already there are some one sub-1-MB chips developed as a three-volt MRAM and feature address access times of about 15 nanoseconds. Motorola, for example, in June 2002 demonstrated a 1 MB MRAM chip with a 50-nanosec access and program time. Serious production is expected sometime in 2003 and, if successful, we should see the transition to MRAM in full swing around 2004.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2003, 5:59 PM   #2

MRAM, which is a better choice for desktop or mission-critical systems, could last indefinitely.
I'm not sure I class my camera as 'mission-critical' and 10,000 read/writes seems an awful lot, when you also consider the price drops and you can buy it cheaper as it gets more used. When I used to use film it was write ONCE, read many and cost a lot. If I was on a mission critical shoot I'd probably still choose film as backup or primary media. How many alien sightings could get shot with a digicam and be regarded as credible? - The truth is out there...

The biggest factor in the ownership of memory is they keep making different sorts - neither of which is compatible with future products. So memory dies by becoming obsolete - not by wearing out! Same with your pc.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote