Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Mar 8, 2003, 7:45 PM   #1
Default Sandisk 256mb vs. 256mb ultra?

Hi everyone,

I just ordered my first digital camera, a canon s50 from dell. Now I'm looking for a larger memory card.

Does anyone know how much a difference the regular card is from the ultra? The price difference is only a couple dollars, but is this the correct type of card? And approximately how many pictures would fit on a 256mb card?

Thanks for your time everyone! Unfortunately you now have another absolute digital camera newbie who just joined the forum. :? :?: This place is incredible for information. Thanks again!
py is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2003, 8:47 PM   #2

its the interface with the camera that will make the final difference. there will be a difference between the standard and ultra only up to the transfer bus saturation point (xfr speed limit from the camera to the card as set by the camera). unfortunately no camera company publishes these specs due to the variations in card controllers and their communications with the camera. also there will be differences due to processing in the camera if you shoot raw tiff jpg too.

if you want to see some wide variations check out the xfr rates on the pro cameras and just imagine the rates on all the different consumer units.

i'd go for the ultra just for the warrantee (lifetime) but the now there is the extreme line from sandisk.

marketing at it's best
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2003, 10:45 AM   #3

From extreme sports to extreme CF cards. What is the world coming to?
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2003, 10:49 AM   #4

Extreme shots... :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2003, 12:07 PM   #5

Who'll be the first to try that extreme 1GB card in a 602 on continuous movie and let us know if it works? The only guarantee worth having is the one that says 'It works in all digicams' - including mine!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote