Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 30, 2006, 5:59 AM   #1

I will be heading out on a 6 week trip in africa in a little while. I have looked at some options for storing my RAW files but im still a little in the dark about what to get. I should have access to electricity every few nights so I can recharge the camera/storage device. I will probably need about 15-20gigs or storage space.

I have looked at a 30gig ipod and that seems reasonable, but i am worried that the battery will not last when I copy a gig CF card over to it. what do you think I should go for?

phong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2006, 10:56 AM   #2

You might want to look at this:

or this:

Wolverine@MSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 2:27 PM   #3

I use a Flash Trax, 20G (not the newest model) to store my images, both RAW and JPEG. I've had it for almost two years now and the only problem I've had is that occassionaly a button on it sticks but it's just a simple matter of hitting that button or a different one again to get back on track. It comes with a remote and a video cable. I can view photos right on the Flash Trax or hook the Flash Trax up to a hotel TV with the video cable and use the remote from the hotel bed to view the photos I took that day. It's great! I believe I spent $350 for mine and, if I'm not mistaken, the newer model runs about that same price.
101Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 3:35 PM   #4

I travel to the islands quite often, and been using either an older MindStor or my Laptop...

However I just picked up a couple of Seagate 8G Microdrives. I know what people say about mechanical devices, but either way you'll end up in some kind of hardisk anyway so why not use ones that can take the abuse!

-> At ~$160 each they are an absolute steal... and all you need to take with you is the camera

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote