Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Mar 28, 2003, 9:28 AM   #1
Default Best memory card for Coolpix 2100

Hi everbody;

This is my first message and its nice to meet with all users in this forum.
I bought new 2100 as u know it comes with 16 mb starter CF card. Now ı wanna take 128 CF but I havent decide on a specific card. Sandisk CF cards look better, especially Ultra model which has transfer rate up to 2.8 MB/sc. Standart models transfer rate is 1.4MB and if I buy the ultra model is it possible to see the advantage of this ultra card? I mean, my camera is intro model and the max size it takes for 1 photo is 1MB , is it usefull to take shots with ultra CF card or standart models are enough for me?
Any one has an experience?

not: I thought that for continious shots may be ultra is better?

tuggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2003, 9:46 AM   #2

my suggestion is go to a shop. they usually have cards around for demo purposes. usually red/blue sandisk cards. they are always the less expensive ones too. take a shot at the highest res you have and count the time from xfr light on to off. see the size of the image you shot and do the math. that will give you a rough idea of the xfr rate for that camera/card match. then test the cards you already own the same way and now you have something to work with.

image size/xfr light on to off= rough transfer rate

the speed of the xfr rate is a combination of card/camera interface. a card can claim 2.8MB/s write speed but with what camera each camera has it's own little quirk with each card

use this as a reference. note these are high end cameras on the list. what it demonstrates is the great differences there are from camera to camera and from card to card.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2003, 1:21 AM   #3
Default thanks

Thanks for your advices, but I have no chance to test each card .. especially for ultra card in shops. I bought ultra 128 for 45$ anyhow normal 128 costs 37$ and in the future it'll be usefull I guess.
tuggi is offline   Reply With Quote