Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Mar 24, 2006, 5:37 PM   #1

I've never seen such low prices for Microdrives, but my friends say to stick with memory cards. Can Microdrives lose images and fall apart? What's your experience?

losangelesbarmitzvahphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2006, 1:59 PM   #2

Yes, pros do not use them.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 3:36 AM   #3

Sure Microdrives can work well if you handle them carefully.
But fact is that they're extremely fine tolerance mechanical devices which makes them fragile, even negligible small drop could break them if shock just happens in right angle. And when miniature disc is rotating they're even more sensitive meaning I would avoid hard/sudden camera movement when it writes to card.

For comparison solid state memory cards are like what it says, they don't have single moving part which means they can survive very hard shocks/drops as long as physical packaging stays intact.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 5:37 AM   #4

I have been using microdrives since about 2002 (IBM then, now Hitachi) and all of my microdrives are still going strong. I just retired my single 340MB microdrive, but my 5 others are still in daily use.

The price per GB is what makes them a good value. Try finding a 4GB CF card for $60.

Unless you are very rough on your equipment, they should last, mine have.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 8:13 PM   #5

Ditto, mine have performed flawlessly (all Hitachi). As far as "pros do not use them", I would disagree with that statement. I have a good friend that is a "pro", he travels to cat shows all over the world almost every weekend and uses Hitachi microdrives in all of his dSLRs and his S7000 and has never had a failure in several years of use. It was his opinion of microdrives that helped make my decision to go with them. I can't speak to the reliability of other 1" CF form factor drives (Magicstor, Seagate, Western Digital, etc.), but I can say that my experience/knowledge withHitachi microdrives has shown them to be reliable and cost effective. Oh yes, almost forgot to mention, solid state CF cards can and do fail also, read any photo forum and you will see recent posts about write errors and failures.

Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote