Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 7, 2003, 9:52 AM   #1
Default Memory stick- Format Error C:13:01 - Please Help!

I'm using SONY DSC P51 with a 16 Mb MS and recently got a Format Error C:13:01 an what seems to be a bad /corrupted area on the memory stick that I cannot access any more. Some pictures are lost and it would be nice to recover them, but what I'm concerned with more is that I'd like to clean the card for my coming holiday. Can anyone help please...?
Thanks in advance
PS - I'm connecting the camera directly to my PC via USB cable and using WIndows Explorer to copy files over to the PC - perhaps this is not very clever ... >o(
igor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2003, 8:35 PM   #2

I'm sorry that I can't help with deciphering the meaning of the memory error or help in the file recovery, but you are doing just the right thing by using windows explorer and COPYing files from your USB attached camera.

I do this all the time with my lil' old U20 with no problems what so ever. The COPY action will not cause windows to modify the files or directory on the camera volume. I subsequently delete 'all' images from the Memory Stick using the camera (after verifying that all files copied properly to the PC).
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2003, 6:54 AM   #3

This advice is for all media. In case you have a corrupted FAT, you should get in the habit of re-format rather than 'erase all' in cam.

The cam format is usually a 'quick format' only rebuilding the first few sectors of the media structure. I'm not sure, but it might also mark a table with any bad areas of storage and verify the media integrity.

In cam reformat does not sort all probs as it is 'quick'. Sometimes the media needs to be 'cleaned' of all data and then reformatted in a reader. However once done, you can never recover any lost pics - it becomes like 'new' media.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote