Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 2, 2006, 4:05 PM   #1

Hey guys,

I have a bit of a problem.

My friend dropped his camera (Panasonic Lumix)on the ground... and it worked fine for about 30 more shots. Then all of a sudden the camera shut down by-itself. We tried uploading the pics onto the computer but it won't let us do it.

We can see the memory card, and it's contents, but the preview pic won't display corrently for 80% of the pictures. A few of the pictures worked fine after we let the computer sit there (doing nothing) for 30mins. It's weird.

We tried copying the pics to the hard drive but it says, cannot read from file or disk.

And helps/tips would be appreciated.

tacotime77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2006, 6:58 PM   #2

The preferred method would be to use a card reader in case the camera is damaged in some way preventing you from reading the images.

But, it woulrdn't hurt to go ahead and try reading directly from the camera using utililities first to see if you can recover them that way.

A good utility to try is Digital Image Recovery (it's free). It doesn't support raw files but it works with jpeg. You can download it using this link.

Look under "My Computer" and make note ofthe drive letter for the reader (or camera if connected via USB). Then,run the Digital Image Recovery Program.

You then select English as the languge (when it starts it will ask), andselectthe source drive letter your want it to read from (the drive letter for your card).

You then browse for a folder for it to copy recovered images to on your hard disk drive and press the start button (just leave everything else at the defaults).

Here is another product designed to recover images if Digital Image Recovery can't get them back for you (not free, but they have a demo version you can try to see if it works).

JimC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 9:26 PM   #3

Thanks for you quick reply

I tried both programs and I didn't get any results. I get read errors using both programs.Iforgot to mention thatI have my memory card connected to my computerthru myHP printer (It has around4 slots for memory cards). And it's detected by my computer as an I drive.

Old Apr 2, 2006, 10:02 PM   #4

This is weird,

I double-clicked I: and now 69 files are working/displaying. I don't exactly know what triggered this...

Old Apr 3, 2006, 3:32 AM   #5

tacotime77 wrote:
I¬*forgot to mention that¬*I have my memory card connected to my computer¬*thru my¬*HP printer (It has around¬*4 slots for memory cards).
Now using camera instead of card reader is already questionable but using such "Plug&Pray" driver-jerryrig is even more questionable.
(want to know what Finnish words some use to call HP?)

Definitely get that separate card reader and if you need those photos don't try to save anything to that card.
(or format it)

Here's one program more.
(made by company whose main business is data recovery from physically broken medias like hard disks)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote