Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 9, 2006, 7:30 PM   #1

It appearsI will have a opportunity to go to Tibet this summer. SinceI knowI will be
above 10,000 feet most of the time, what extra care should I use with my camera and computer. I know that my micro-drive should not be used above 10,000ft because of the thin air and it may crash.

1. ShouldIbuy extra compact flash and avoid using my computer to dump files?

2. I see many photos of Tibet with terrible greens and a blue black sky .I think it's the extra UV. Is there a filter for this?

3. What about my laptop hard drive? Will the hard drive crash above 12,000 feet?

Does anyone have experience at high altitudes?

bsteaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2006, 5:25 AM   #2

A hard disk drive requires a certain range of air pressures in order to operate properly. If the air pressure is too low, the air will not exert enough force on the flying head, the head will not be at the proper height, and there is a risk of head crashes and data loss. (Specially manufactured sealed and pressurized drives are needed for reliable high-altitude operation, above about 10,000 feet. This does not apply to pressurized enclosures, like an airplane cabin.)

Seagate and Hitachi don't list altitudes but Western Digital does and here's what they state for their notebook HDs.

So while drive might operate above 10 000ft any movement while operating could cause head crash.
So at least you'll have to get solid state CFs for camera.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote