Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 30, 2006, 11:01 PM   #1

Hi, I just recently downloaded photos of a trip to my PC. Normally the program will ask me if I want to delete the pictures after downloading, but his time that message didn't come up.. I was on "my computer when I right mouse clicked and asked that the removable drive be formated as I thought this woudl erase the pictures.

When I put the card in my camera it now reads "card not initialized"? I've gone to the camera menu, but cannot find a sectionwhere I could initialize the card.
Can anyone direct me on how to "initialize card"?

Suzieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2006, 9:13 AM   #2

You didn't say what caemra you have. But, you'll find a format menu option somewhere in your camera.

If you look through it's review here, the record screens probably show it.

The reason your camera is probably not recognizing the card is because you formatted it using the Windows default File System Type of FAT32. Most cameras are not compatible with a 32 Bit FAT (File Allocation Table).

If you can't get your camera to format the card via the camera menus, format it again with Windows. But, make sure to change the File System Type to FAT (Not the default FAT32) on the screen you'll see come up after right clicking on it under My Coimputer and selecting Format.

Then, make sure to format it again with your Camera before you use it. I always format my cards via my camera's menus before every use. It's just as fast as deleting the images, and insures that I always start out with a fresh File Allocation Table, just the way the camera expects it (since the camera is performing the format).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote