Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 29, 2006, 4:39 PM   #11

Sintares wrote:
Haven't seen a review of the Sony dslr ,that might be able to fullymake use of a hi speed card and justifiy the cost !
Make sure to see Steve's preview of the new Sony DLSR-A100

The new Sony DSLR-A100 does not take Memory Sticks, except through a CompactFlash to Memory Stick Adapter.

You're better off using a fast CompactTlash Card with it, unless you already have a substantial investment in Memory Stick media. Even then, you're probably better off just buying newer and faster media.

Heck, I just bought some 1GB Lexar 40x Platinum Pro CompactFlash Cards for only $19.95 with free shipping from outpost.com. They're not as fast as the latest models. But. for that price, what the heck. lol

The Konica Minolta Maxxum (a.k.a. Dynax) 5D, as well as the new Sony Alpha DLSR-A100 (which is based in large part on the Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D), have *very* fast write speeds to media with fast CompactFlash Cards like the Sandisk Extreme III (almost 9MB/Second with an Extreme III).

Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 12:43 AM   #12

I heard the fake Sony Memory Sticks are not that bad actually as they give slightly more space than a true memory stick and only a tiny bit slower...but...who knows how many different kinds of fake ones are out there.
Renegade_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 2:20 AM   #13

Many of the fakes reportedly fail after only a couple of months or from the start are a lesser size than indicated.

It depends on how much you value your pictures.

Would hate to have taken some important pics, a wedding, a birthday, a graduation etc only to lose them due to a failed memory stick.

Still, I am surepotentiallylosing some important memories are totally outweighed by the fact that you can save 50 bucks buying fake.

And I am sure the organised crime syndicates producing the fakes thank you for your purchase.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote