Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 9, 2006, 4:56 PM   #1

i just want a good 1 gb SD card for not a whole lot of money... no high burst rates or anything just casual birding and basketball... anybrands that are good... or even if they arent too much more expensive i might get something faster... but im looking in the 40-60 dollar range and want the best bang for my buck (as money is hard to scrounge up at 15)

PS if it applies to anything im using a D50 and plan on just adding the SD card to my cart at B & H

EDIT: there is a PNY 1 GB SD card at bestbuy for sale for 29.99 (this one http://www0.shopping.com/xPO-1GB_SECURE_DIGITAL_CARD) should that be suffice? or should i get something better (brand wise... as i've never heard of pny)
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2006, 8:11 PM   #2

I have a D-50 and use whatever I can find cheap. I have bought all my cards from Newegg.com. The cards I have include Silicon Power, PNY, Patriot, and A-Data. They all work fine, no problems at all. And all cost between $20 and $25, plus shipping. I usually order Sunday nights from Newegg and have it by Thursday.
Dadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:00 AM   #3

I use the Lexar 133x 2gb Proffesional Line in my D50. I used to work with an A-Data 2gb 150x Sd card on my former FZ30 butI found out that when I approached to filling up that card, pictureswere missing and the card had errors on it. Then I decided to stop buyng cheap cards and invest into a more expensive card that won't give me headaches for having errors.

Also, I must say there is a big difference in built quality from the A-Data to the Lexar. Don't buy cheap brands because you get what you pay for and those missing pictures might be worth a few extra bucks.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 7:56 PM   #4

First look at the specs of your camera to find out what is the largest size card it will accept. The cards act as a computer disk and the camera has to be able to address this amount of storage - hence the limit on the size of cards for various cameras.

In general I have found that the camera shops have higher prices

Also in general for fast delivery, and good prices try Outpost.com - which is the on line store for Fry's Electronics - They carry multiple brands and generally the lowest everyday prices I could find - from time to time they also run sales on the memory.

Here is just a sampling of the size, speed and prices

Transend 512MB 80x $18 - currently with an $8 rebate or $10 total
Transend 1GB 150x $28
Transend 2GB 150x $43
Transend 4GB 150x $85

In general now if you want a lot of cards, buy the smaller size as they are relative cheat - as above sometimes as low as $10 each. Also the slower cards (133x, 80x, 60, 45x, etc.) are cheaper.

Brand wise PQI, Patroit, Transend, Scandisk Sexar, PNY Kingston, Corsair are all good brands (just because I did not list one does not mean that it is not any good - these are just the cards I or friends have had good experience with)

I was looking for sdcards and found that several people had reported problems with A-Data cards.

I have had perfect experience with Transend, Corsair and PQI.

For current prices you can go to http://www.pricewatch.com/flash%5Fcard%5Fmemory/ and the site will provide you with a wide array of flash memory, sizes, prices and vendors to purchase from. The prices are updated daily

Hope that helps....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote