Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 28, 2006, 1:00 PM   #1

i just brought ultra11 for camera nikon 5700 does it make a difference from compact flash card? does it pay toget extreme1 and 11? please forgive me i know 5700 is old, not up to par. i am getting new digital rebel xt iti paul
astral8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:14 AM   #2

The interface to media in the camera is the bottleneck in most non-DSLR models, versus the speed of the card itself.

You somtimes see a small increase going to a faster card. But, you'll have diminishing returns. For example, you may find that a card that's rated as being twice as fast only gives you a one or two percent improvement after you reach a certain card speed.

Chances are, you're not going to see any difference between the Ultra II and Extreme III cards in your camera (it should be negligible).

From what I've seen reported in the past, there is very little improvement in speed, once you get much faster than a 12x card in the CP 5700. If you use a USB 2.0 card reader for transferring images, you can get faster transfer times, though.

If you are planning to buy a DSLR soon, you may want to take card speed into consideration (since most DSLR models will have much faster write times to media).

Rob Galbraith has some card tests showing throughput in some of the popular DSLR models here that you may find of interest:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote