Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Sep 29, 2008, 7:39 AM   #1

I am just looking for some advice on camera cleaning kits...

I currently use lens fluid that I'd use for my glasses and the cloth from within my glasses case but know there are many different kits you can buy.

Can someone advise is it best just to get a kit from Jessops or buy microfibre cloth, cotton buds and rocket blower separate.

Fussybuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2008, 1:31 PM   #2

For big jobs, I use distilled water and cotton swabs, maybe with a little ethyl alchohol. For smaller jobs I use a microfiber cloth (which also happens to be 18% gray, so I can use it for setting exposure and custom white balance) or a lens pen.

I have better luck cleaning my lenses than I do cleaning my glasses, but that probably has a lot to do with having to take my glasses off to clean them, and therefore I can't see them very well while I clean them.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 5:23 PM   #3

I realize this is a reply to a v. old post, but about 20 years ago I discovered ROR (Residual Oil Remover) at a store in NYC, and bought half-a-dozen bottles (spares & gifts for other photo/optic friends etc). This is the only lens cleaner I've ever used that is capable of restoring the surface of a lens to "out-of-the-box clean", i.e. totally smear-free and "clean" clean.

I see that it's still available (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...l_Remover.html) or check on www.google.com, for other sources.

You might also try using micro-fiber cloths; used with ROR I find that to be an unbeatable combination.

- Wil
Wil Davis is offline   Reply With Quote