Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Apr 14, 2010, 9:51 AM   #1

Default The right "walking around" bag for a DSLR with long lens attached (and external flash

http://www.kata-bags.com/product.asp...&Version=Photo

I think I have finally found my walking around bag!

I have one bag that is big enough to hold just about all my gear. So when I travel, and plan on shooting, the big bag goes in the car. But after I arrive, I don't always want to lug around the big bag.

Here's what I want: A bag big enough to accomodate a DSLR with a 70-200 lens attached. AND a place to put a flash. The Lowepro toploader series is good, but there's no room for a external flash in it. I tried out several bags but couldn't find the right bag. I thought I'd found the right bag once before, but it had so many straps, flaps, clickers, zippes and velcro that it took for ever to get the camera out of the bag!

But then I found this bag last night. H-16. I'd love to hear from anyone who has used this bag. It looks like the answer for me.

Faithfully Yours,
FP
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithfulPastor View Post
http://www.kata-bags.com/product.asp...&Version=Photo

I think I have finally found my walking around bag!

I have one bag that is big enough to hold just about all my gear. So when I travel, and plan on shooting, the big bag goes in the car. But after I arrive, I don't always want to lug around the big bag.

Here's what I want: A bag big enough to accomodate a DSLR with a 70-200 lens attached. AND a place to put a flash. The Lowepro toploader series is good, but there's no room for a external flash in it. I tried out several bags but couldn't find the right bag. I thought I'd found the right bag once before, but it had so many straps, flaps, clickers, zippes and velcro that it took for ever to get the camera out of the bag!

But then I found this bag last night. H-16. I'd love to hear from anyone who has used this bag. It looks like the answer for me.

Faithfully Yours,
FP
i recently took a chance with the H14. and with careful planning and lots of shifting, i finally narrowed it down.
- in the main compartment has Nikon D90 with grip and 17-55 lens, hood reversed. below that i have a rocket blower.
- above that, which is a storage area for batteries and memory cards, i store the 360 flash and stenflo diffuser.
- right pocket, has 70-300 lens.
left pocket, filters , memory cards, camera strap.
- back pocket, element cover.
With this arrangement, i carry all my stuff, each piece has it own section, and the zipps open and close with ( no, none, nada, nil, ) forcing at all.
I love the idea of this bag, its main selling point to me was the side pockets expanding internally, there by using up a lot of wasted space normally found in conventional bags,
The only thing i did not like but it is no big deal, is the front clasp when locked, weather the bag is full or empty, pushes the flap out a bit.
Other than that i am very pleased with it and would highly recomend it

Dave
T&T
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:46 PM   #3

Thats a nice bag..and great web site.. I have the kata 3n1-20...its much larger, but a very functional sling backpack,
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 8:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
Thats a nice bag..and great web site.. I have the kata 3n1-20...its much larger, but a very functional sling backpack,

that is not much larger , that is a suitcase
Dave
T&T
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:23 AM   #5

The 3N1-20 bag isn't that big, really. It's the 3N1-30 that's a monster. My boss saw mine and said his packpack for a week trip was smaller!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:38 AM   #6

I find the M-Rock Grand Canyon model to be perfect for a DSLR body with a lens attached. It has space for an extra lens and an external flash.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 23, 2010 at 4:35 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafiryde View Post
that is not much larger , that is a suitcase
Dave
T&T
Not really...I did think so at first, but I put in my camera and 2 lens (room for a flash that I don't have yet). The top compartment, perfect for a GPS and small binoculars and maybe a granola bar or 2. side pockets for batteries. there is room for a charger too.

I brought for my vacation trip, and I was glad I had it, for the plane. Camera bags aren't considered carry ons. So I could put items in that I didn't want to put in my luggage...money passports etc.

Sounds like a lot of stuff..but its not that big. Plus you get a LOTA value for your $$$. Most bags I looked at that were 1/2 the price...weren't even 1/2 the bag.

The 10 would perhaps be a nice size. The quick draw on the Kata is pretty nice.

Like others I can see that one bag won't suffice in all situations..that's why some folks have more than one..

the dimensions for the 3n1-20 vs H16

L 9.25" vs 10.6"
w 7.48" vs 7.5
h 17.3" vs 13"

using outside dimensions, the 3n1-20 is 1192 cubic inches the H16 is 1033 cubic inches a differance of 159 c.i. making the H16 about 13% smaller in comparison.

Last edited by littlejohn; Apr 16, 2010 at 3:53 AM.
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
Not really...I did think so at first, but I put in my camera and 2 lens (room for a flash that I don't have yet). The top compartment, perfect for a GPS and small binoculars and maybe a granola bar or 2. side pockets for batteries. there is room for a charger too.

I brought for my vacation trip, and I was glad I had it, for the plane. Camera bags aren't considered carry ons. So I could put items in that I didn't want to put in my luggage...money passports etc.

Sounds like a lot of stuff..but its not that big. Plus you get a LOTA value for your $$$. Most bags I looked at that were 1/2 the price...weren't even 1/2 the bag.

The 10 would perhaps be a nice size. The quick draw on the Kata is pretty nice.

Like others I can see that one bag won't suffice in all situations..that's why some folks have more than one..

the dimensions for the 3n1-20 vs H16

L 9.25" vs 10.6"
w 7.48" vs 7.5
h 17.3" vs 13"

using outside dimensions, the 3n1-20 is 1192 cubic inches the H16 is 1033 cubic inches a differance of 159 c.i. making the H16 about 13% smaller in comparison.

point well placed.
the OP did ask about the H16, i gave my view on the H14, so as to give him an idea of what i have in the H14. which is basically shorter.
after 8 bags in the last 2 years, i know my quest was to get as small and as slim as possible, strong construction, no wasted space, not bulky looking or boxy, every piece of my gear had to have its own space, and be very accessable. and the H14 does this. hopefully, with my fingers crossed, i think this one is it

Dave
T&T
Old Apr 20, 2010, 1:36 PM   #9

Default Just got it today

Here is my new walking around bag from Kata. This version is the KT H-16 from the Global Digital Collection.

My initial impression of the bag is that it is very sturdy. If you have ever used a Swiss Army backpack, then you know this kind of feel. The bag is soft, yet it does not collapse. It holds it structure very well without anything in it.

The strap is long enough to be worn as an over-the-shoulder bag that hangs off one shoulder or it can go over your head and therefore the strap goes across your chest.

In photo #1, the side by side photo shows that the H-16 is tall enough to accommodate a Canon 5D Mark II with a 70-200 2.8 IS Canon lens mounted. So the bag, meet my first requirement of holding this combination. Of course it can accommodate a shorter lens. But my desire was for it to hold the 70-200 securely.

In Photo #2, you see the 5d and 70-200 fitting inside the bag.

In Photo #3, please notice the two side pockets. On the left side, there is a Canon 430 flash with diffuser. On the right side, is a 24-105 Canon 4.0 IS lens. The two side pockets donít push outward, they push more inward. This design allows you to take advantage of the space along side the 70-200 lens, but there is a barrier between them keeping them from touching. The right side does the same thing so that the 24-105 fit inside.

In Photo #4, the side zippers are closed, but the flash and extra lens are inside, as is the camera and lens.

So this bag appears to be my walking around bag. And I am looking forward to trying it out.

It is small enough that it could easily be mistaken for a ladies handbag or purse. It is study enough and the material looks like a sharp knife would have real trouble cutting it.

I got it at Adorama for $99

Please comment.

Faithfully Yours,
FP
Attached Images

FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 2:15 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
The 3N1-20 bag isn't that big, really. It's the 3N1-30 that's a monster. My boss saw mine and said his packpack for a week trip was smaller!
Nope, that's still not big, I use a Tamrac Expedition 8 http://www.tamrac.com/images/5578_lrg.jpg Big is beautiful.... I'm 6'6" LOL.

I also have the expedition 7 in case I need to take a bit more kit with me.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote